An energy binder was a band of electromagnetic energy cast in an arc between two small generators. They were jagged, throbbing, purple arcs of an unknown energy, and were commonly used on Podracers, to connect a racer's engines and stop them from flying off in opposite directions.
Energy binders were useful in this regard as they were flexible and could be shut off with a switch located in the cockpit, instead of having to uncouple the devices. However, energy binders would fail to work if the engines were pulled apart too far, as demonstrated on Ben Quadinaros's BT410 Podracer during the Boonta Eve Classic. This particular racer used two sets of energy binders to hold four engines together.
Although energy binders did not seem to do permanent damage when they came into contact with body parts, they could stun nerves and cause limbs and any other related body parts to go numb for a period of time.
They were used as trade goods as well.
- "Urchins"—Star Wars Tales 14
- Episode I Adventures 6: The Hunt for Anakin Skywalker
- Podracing Tales
- Episode I: Anakin Skywalker
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace video game
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars: Episode I Racer
- Star Wars 14: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 2
- Star Wars 15: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 3
- Star Wars 16: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 4
- Star Wars Racer Revenge
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Appears in hologram)
- Tatooine Ghost