- "More power, Ensign! You've got to give me more receiving power!"
- ―Leia Organa
Ensign was the lowest rating of officer within most space navies, being bestowed upon a being immediately after graduating from a service academy. Ensigns typically were given supervisory positions over enlisted crew, however they were too junior to actually have a command billet. Ensigns also could not take command of any situation, unless in the absence of a lieutenant or other superior officer. Persons of this rank were typically assigned as watch officers, military aides, envoys or even bodyguards for various higher-ranking officers such as admirals. Ensigns also sometimes led ground missions, leading a vessel's complement of troopers on whatever task needed doing.
During off-duty hours, or when in hyperspace, an ensign could be given command of a warship, primarily to test their abilities, but also to give the regular officers some time off. When the captain or another higher-ranking officer judged them ready, the ensign would be promoted the next appropriate grade, and continue on their career path.
- The Last Command Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 5 (THR4, Grand Admiral Thrawn)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Rebel Ensign)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Squadrons Over Corellia (Card: Imperial Ensign)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Cariso Smadis)
- Suns of Fortune
- Ensign on Wikipedia