The quadruped mammals were distinguished by their pale skin and long flexible snouts. An eopie's pale, white skin helped keep the creature cool by reflecting the intense rays of the planet's twin suns.
A special hinged skull allowed for a very flexible, elongated snout and a broader range for sharp incisors. Eopies got most of their moisture from desert lichens and tubers.
Eopies reached maturity around six standard years of age and their average lifespan was 90 standard years; however like most creatures, the animal would weaken with age. Young eopies were much more vulnerable to the harsh desert conditions of the twin-sunned world. Young eopies needed to consume more food than a mature one and were also unable to carry as heavy a load. Newborn eopies were slow and awkward and were preyed upon by some of the more dangerous creatures of Tatooine, like anooba and sarlaccs. Older eopies were kept by the planet's moisture farmers to eat desert weeds that absorbed the planet's already valuable moisture. They were also used as transports across the vast desert plains of the arid planet.
Eopies were renowned for their endurance and ability to carry a hefty amount of cargo. They also had a reputation of being stubborn or grumpy creatures. This however, could be attributed to their owners, who often pushed these animals to the limit, packing them with extremely heavy loads. It could also be attributed to the limited diet available to these beasts of burden, which gave them incredibly potent flatulence.
Many breeds existed, including the dwarf eopie.
- Star Wars: Episode I toy line
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Secrets of Tatooine
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Secrets of Mos Eisley"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Tatooine Limited (Card: Eopie)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 131 (EOP1-2, Eopies)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Threats of the Galaxy
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 14
- The Unknown Regions
- "We Need to Talk About Jar Jar"—Star Wars Insider 131
- Stay on Target