Some escape pods were designed to fly into the upper atmosphere to await being picked up by a ship, which was how Yoda departed Kashyyyk when Order 66 was declared. Some planets had a network of escape pods that could launch into the upper atmosphere away from danger.
Typically, droids never used an escape pod. R2-D2 and C-3PO used an escape pod to smuggle the Death Star plans off the Tantive IV: the Devastator's officers noticed but neglected to fire as they detected no lifeforms aboard.
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ; image #10 (of 22)
- ; image #9 (of 22)
- ; image #8 (of 13)