Exile was a form of punishment used by numerous cultures and sentient species across the galaxy in which the punished were banished from the society issuing the punishment, rarely ever to return. This form of punishment was known to be practiced by the Jedi Order against members who went against the will of the Order or turned to the dark side. Not all cases of exile were a form of punishment, as any being could place themselves in a self-imposed exile for a wrong they perceived they had done, removing themselves from society to keep them from wronging another again, or for failing a task they had believed they should have accomplished.
Examples of exileEdit
- The Exiles were the last twelve survivors of a group of Jedi who had turned to the dark side and initiated the Hundred-Year Darkness, and were banished from Republic space after the Battle of Corbos. Their exile would see them discovering the planet of Korriban and the Sith species, setting in motion the creation the Sith Order.
- Naga Sadow, once Dark Lord of the Sith, was exiled by his short-lived successor Ludo Kressh after encountering his rival's forces in orbit around Korriban. Sadow eventually chose the destination of his exile as Yavin IV.
- During his reign as King of Onderon, Freedon Nadd exiled anyone who opposed his rule.
- Ulic Qel-Droma went into self-imposed exile on Rhen Var after being stripped of the Force.
- Jolee Bindo chose to exile himself from the Jedi Order when he felt they failed him by forgiving him for his self-appointed training of his wife, Nayama Bindo, who fell to the dark side during Exar Kun's war against the Jedi. He believed that he deserved punishment instead of the promotion to Jedi Knight that the order gave him.
- Meetra Surik was exiled from the Jedi Order after her involvement in the Mandalorian Wars and returning changed, a change that the Jedi High Council of that time feared.
- Jedi Master Kreia was exiled from the Jedi Order for her training of Revan and his fall to the dark side. She would later be exiled and stripped of her power by her Sith apprentices Darth Sion and Darth Nihilus, leading Nihilus to take up the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.
- Canderous Ordo went into self-imposed exile after the end of the Mandalorian Wars.
- Tasiele Shan was exiled to an unidentified planet in the Outer Rim by the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order for challenging the Order's views on attachment and marriage like her ancestors did before her.
- Allya, a female Jedi, was exiled to Dathomir in 600 BBY by the Jedi Order.
- Jar Jar Binks was forced into exile on the surface of Naboo after being banished from Otoh Gunga.
- Darth Maul went into a self-imposed exile on Lotho Minor after his defeat during the Battle of Naboo.
- Asajj Ventress went into exile after the Battle of Dathomir when the nightsister clan was destroyed by General Grievous. It was very brief after she became a bounty hunter.
- Mitth'raw'nuruodo was exiled for his preemptive military actions by Chiss Ascendancy, to an unnamed planet, where he was later discovered by Captain Voss Parck.
- Yoda went into self-imposed exile on Dagobah after failing to defeat Darth Sidious after the execution of Order 66.
- Shaak Ti went into a self-imposed exile on Felucia during the Great Jedi Purge.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi went into exile on Tatooine after failing to stop Darth Vader in 19 BBY.
- After crashing his personal B-Wing on the planet Vortex, Gial Ackbar exiled himself on his seapod on Mon Calamari.
- Ithila, a Hapan woman, went into self-imposed exile after being scarred horribly during the Yuuzhan Vong War, ruining her beauty as she was allergic to bacta.
- Tahiri Veila, Lowbacca and Tesar Sebatyne were placed in temporary exile on Dagobah after choosing to spy on the New Jedi Order for the Killiks in 36 ABY.
- Luke Skywalker was exiled by Natasi Daala from Coruscant and any planet which had a Jedi Temple or other similar Jedi facility on it in 43.5 ABY.
Groups who used exile as punishmentEdit
- Jedi Order
- New Jedi Order
- Galactic Republic
- Sith Triumvirate
- Sith Empire
- Galactic Federation of Free Alliances
- Witches of Dathomir
- Chiss Ascendancy
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (Picture only)
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Master Yoda (★★★★★)) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire 5: End of an Empire
- ↑ The Essential Chronology
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: Redemption 1: A Gathering of Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ The Old Republic: Revan
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Mist Encounter
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- ↑ Dark Apprentice
- ↑ Legacy of the Force: Fury
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Dark Nest III: The Swarm War
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Fate of the Jedi: Outcast
- ↑ The Courtship of Princess Leia
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Exile on Wikipedia