The Extragalactic Society (often referred to as simply ExGal) was an organization devoted to the search for life outside the galaxy. During the time of the Galactic Republic, it was a member of the General Ministry Institutes.
Just before the start of the Clone Wars, the ExGal budget—along with the other General Ministry programs—was cut by 60%. This resulted in a greater use of droid exploration and a closing of several offices by the Society. Its president at this time was Tobbert Dalonbian. It was presumably at this time that ExGal became an independent organization based at ExGal Command.
By 25 ABY, ExGal had at least four listening posts, with ExGal-4 located on Belkadan. It was that outpost that finally discovered extragalactic life, in the form of an approaching Praetorite Vong ship. The Yuuzhan Vong subsequently destroyed ExGal-4 and killed all of its scientists, except for Danni Quee.
- HoloNet News Vol. 531 47 (content now unavailable; backup links 1 2 on Archive.org) —
- The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side