The FC-1 fired a spray of metal flechettes that were effective at close range against both soft targets and armored targets, depending on which canister it fired. The weapon featured four canister tubes, each able to hold a single canister, with two reserve tubes. Tapping the firing stud allowed the user to select which tube to fire, while aiming down the range finder allowed them to select a detonation point. The ideal was for the canister to detonate ten meters in front of the intended target, achieving maximum dispersal of the flechettes, though in an emergency the canister could be launched without a point set. This meant the canister would detonate on impact, dramatically reducing the effectiveness of the flechettes.
The FC-1 was capable of firing two standard types of canisters, anti-personnel and anti-vehicle. The anti-personnel canister was a small globe which upon detonation spread hundreds of razor-sharp flechettes over a ten-meter area, potentially eliminating an entire squad in one shot. The anti-vehicle canister was an eleven-centimeter-long missile which released much longer flechettes capable of penetrating up to ten centimeters of durasteel, making them ideal for taking out lightly-armored repulsorcraft such as snowspeeders. These canisters also featured a shaped charge which concentrated the flechettes over an area five meters in diameter.
This weapon was widely used by the Corporate Sector Authority, as well as the Imperial Remnant's stormtroopers and the unknown mercenary faction that supplemented them. The Galactic Empire equipped swamptroopers with them. Kyle Katarn used the FC-1 extensively in his career, as did Han Solo during his escape from the hijacked Lady of Mindor.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia identifies this weapon as the FC11 flechette launcher.
- Han Solo's Revenge (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook (As "FC1 Flechette Launcher")
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology (As "FC1 Flechette Launcher")
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 14 (SPE1, Manufacturers of Specialist Weapons)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "FC11 flechette launcher")
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- Dangerous Covenants