- "Search him."
- ―Kylo Ren orders FN-3181 to search Poe Dameron
FN-3181 was a human male stormtrooper who served the First Order. In the year 34 ABY, he was deployed to the planet Jakku as part of an attack on the village of Tuanul, where they hoped to obtain part of a map showing the location of the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.
After the stormtroopers killed or captured the village's residents, the leader of the Knights of Ren, Kylo Ren, arrived and executed Lor San Tekka, one of the villages residents. This prompted the Resistance pilot Poe Dameron to try and attack Ren; however, Ren used the Force to freeze Dameron. FN-3181 and another trooper then dragged Dameron before Ren and searched him, before carrying him on board an Atmospheric Assault Lander.
Attack on TuanulEdit
FN-3181 was a human male who served in the FN Corps, a stormtrooper unit in the First Order's military during their conflict with the New Republic–backed Resistance. In the year 34 ABY, he was was one of eighty troopers deployed from the Resurgent-class Battlecruiser Finalizer to the planet Jakku in four Atmospheric Assault Landers.
The soldiers were led by Captain Phasma and landed at night outside the village of Tuanul, which they had orders to attack in order to obtain part of a map that led to the Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. The village's occupants fought back against FN-3181 and his comrades, but were quickly overwhelmed, with those not killed being captured and rounded up into the village's centre.
Capturing Poe DameronEdit
- "Put him on board."
- ―Kylo Ren orders FN-3181 put Poe Dameron on an Atmospheric Assault Lander
The Force-sensitive leader of the Knights of Ren, Kylo Ren then arrived in the village in his Upsilon-class command shuttle and the village resident Lor San Tekka, who had owned the map part, was brought before him. Tekka, who no longer had the map, briefly spoke with Ren before the Force user killed him.
The Resistance pilot Poe Dameron, who had been in the village to meet with Tekka and receive the map part, witnessed the man's death from his hiding place and opened fire on Ren in anger. Ren froze the blaster bolt and Dameron in place using the Force, after which FN-3181 and another trooper ran up to the pilot and grabbed him, taking an arm each and dragging Dameron before Ren.
Ren had FN-3181 search Dameron, while the other trooper scanned him with a personal scanner and after they found nothing the pair and another trooper escorted the pilot to one of the Atmospheric Assault Landers so that he could be taken back to the Finalizer. Dameron however, no longer had the map part either, as he had given it to his astromech droid BB-8, who had escaped from Tuanul and would go on to eventually successfully delivered it to the Resistance.
Personality and traitsEdit
When FN-3181 searched Dameron, he did so with thuggish delight, smacking the pilot instead of patting him down. When he found nothing he was disappointed.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "By the way, that stormtrooper on the right, in that uniform, umm, behind Poe, is Michael Giacchino, composer of fine film scores everywhere."
- ―J.J. Abrams points out FN-3181 during his director's commentary of the The Force Awakens
FN-3181 was portrayed in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens by Michael Giacchino, a long-time collaborator of the film's director J.J. Abrams who has provided the musical score for several of his other works. The trooper is not identified by name in the film itself, but is identified in the credits.
In the novelization of the Force Awakens written by Alan Dean Foster, FN-318's actions are slightly altered. After the trooper searches Dameron, the pilot sarcastically compliments him and winks, causing FN-3181 to kick his legs out from under him.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part I
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In the 2016 reference book Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded, it is stated that the stormtroopers of the First Order were all humans.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Before the Awakening
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Sciretta, Peter (December 18, 2015). ‘Force Awakens’ Cameos Revealed: Michael Giacchino, Daniel Craig, and Radiohead’s Nigel Godrich. SlashFilm. Retrieved on December 21, 2015.