- "FN-417, hold position!"
- ―FN-417 receives orders
The First Order stormtrooper FN-417 was one of many deployed to the planet Takodana in 34 ABY to recover the Resistance astromech droid BB-8. As the First Order's forces attacked the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata, where the droid had been sighted, FN-417 moved into the surrounding woods. While being ordered to hold position, the trooper was spotted by the scavenger Rey, an ally of BB-8. After Rey failed to fire an initial shot from her NN-14 blaster pistol due to the weapon's safety still being on, the stormtrooper fired off one shot before being killed by the scavenger.
- "Oh, safety."
- ―Rey realizes the safety of her blaster is still on while trying to shoot FN-417
FN-417 was a human who served in the FN Corps, a stormtrooper unit in the First Order's military during their conflict with the New Republic–backed Resistance. In the year 34 ABY, the trooper was amongst many deployed to the planet Takodana in order to recover the Resistance astromech droid BB-8, who had been sighted in the castle of the pirate Maz Kanata. As the attack on the castle began, FN-417 moved into the surrounding forest but was ordered to hold position via radio.
Overhearing the order from nearby, the scavenger Rey attempted to shoot the stormtrooper, but failed in her first attempt as the safety of her NN-14 blaster pistol was still on. Before she had another chance to shoot, FN-417 turned and opened fire but missed. Rey then fired off two more shots with her pistol, the second of which hit and killed the trooper; however, she was captured shortly thereafter by First Order forces.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I wanted a moment here where Rey takes in that she just took a life, but she had no choice."
- ―Director J.J. Abrams mentions FN-417's death in his director's commentary of the Force Awakens
FN-417 is portrayed by an uncredited extra in the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which was released on December 18, 2015. FN-417's scene was filmed in a forest called Puzzlewood in Wales.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, including FN-417's appearance and death, to 34 ABY.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded states that the stormtroopers of the First Order were all humans. As Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens establishes that FN-417 is a stormtrooper, he must therefore be human.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Before the Awakening establishes that First Order stormtroopers with "FN" in their designation, including FN-417, are a part of the FN Corps.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens:"Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams" featurette