The FWG-5 flechette pistol, also known as the smart pistol, was a handheld flechette launcher manufactured by Malaxan Firepower Incorporated. A featherweight version which was crafted using ultra-lightweight materials to provide the user with greater accuracy and mobility was also in use.
The FWG-5 was smaller and easier to handle than the Golan Arms FC-1 flechette launcher, and had the stopping power of a heavy blaster pistol. It was loaded with flechette-filled pellets instead of heavy canisters, and featured a miniature laser tracking system that tagged targets with an electronic homing signature. This enabled the weapon's pellets to track and follow the target's movements, and make a course correction while in flight. Upon reaching a range of three meters from the target, the pellet would explode, releasing twelve millimeter long micro flechettes in a shotgun style method of attack. This hail of flechettes would be propelled forward by the pellets momentum, spreading out to the radius of a meter or so to puncture and strike a target, often with enough force to pierce blast vests and stormtrooper armor.
Designed to be lightweight and aerodynamic, the flechettes used micro-repulsors to propel the pellets up to fifty meters away. Alternatively, the weapon was capable of an alternative fire mode that fired blasts of "heat based energy", many pistoleers preferred this setting over the messy results of the pellets.
Behind the scenesEdit
The FWG-5 flechette pistol appeared in the video game Star Wars Galaxies, a massively multiplayer online-role playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011.
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First appearance) (Identified as FWG5 pistol)
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology (As "FWG-5")
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Missions (Game card)
- The Far Orbit Project
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 14 (SPE2, Manufacturers of Specialist Weapons)
- "Who's Who: Imperial Grand Admirals"—Star Wars Insider 66
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide