- "I wouldn't trust Jedi farsight all that much if I were you. The Emperor did a lot of that, too. It didn't help him much in the end…"
- ―Mara Jade
Farsight (also called far sight or farseeing) was the ability to gain vague impressions of events happening in other places or times using the Force. These visions focused on strong imagery and emotions. The future is always in motion, however, and is thus subject to change.
Jedi and Sith skilled in this technique were capable of detecting when friends and apprentices were in danger, examining details of past events, and predicting the probable outcome of a stated course of action. Farsight could also be applied to combat, allowing the practitioner to glimpse moves his opponent may make, as well as outside forces that might affect the battle. Sometimes, if the Jedi was in meditation for long enough, in farsight, their spirit could leave their body for a limited amount of time, making their spirit able to go where they please.[source?] This was used for reconnaissance in a hostile place.
Palpatine used this skill to discover that Darth Vader was in danger after his fight with Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. He also used it to set his traps for the Jedi, keeping himself several steps ahead.
One of the first Force powers Yoda taught to the young Luke Skywalker was farseeing. He used this ability to sense that his friends were in danger on Bespin. Despite the advice of Yoda and the Force ghost of Obi-Wan Kenobi, he decided to intervene.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the Star Wars Roleplaying Game, receiving a farseeing vision requires at least an hour of meditation, and can only be done once per week (although members of the Gand Findsman prestige class could use it as often as three times per day).
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (The Force, as "prognostication")
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game (As "Farseeing")
- The Star Wars Rules Companion (As "Farseeing")
- Star Wars Gamemaster Kit (As "Farseeing")
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen (As "Farseeing")
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook (As "Farseeing")
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim (As "farseeing")
- Dark Empire Sourcebook (As "Farseeing")
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (As "Farseeing")
- The Last Command Sourcebook (As "farseeing")
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- The Sith Compendium"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game
- How the Other Half Hunts"—Star Wars Gamer 6 "
- Alien Anthology
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Farsight)
- The Unknown Regions