- "If you told me I could only see one creature in the galaxy, it would be a fathier. Someday I want to see a fathier race! I wouldn't even bet – I'd just watch!"
- ―Paige Tico
Fathiers, also known as "space horses," were a species of non-sentient quadrupeds that resided in the galaxy. They were often used as mounts, and wealthy inhabitants of Kergans and Cantonica rode them in competition.
Biology and appearanceEdit
- "Sounds like the feisty filly in the corner stall is having trouble sleeping. Did you do the endurance exercises with her in the double-gravity chamber today? You know fathiers need heavy exercise when they're cooped up on a ship like this."
"Sorry. I had to clean the reflux combusters—"
"No excuses. Each of these fathiers is worth more than three years of your wages."
- ―Ulina and Teal
A non-sentient quadruped species, fathiers were distinguished by their long legs, brown fur, and large ears. Fathiers were capable of running at great speeds across various terrains, including beaches, fields, and cliff faces. Their speed made them sought after by wealthy residents of the galaxy, and the creatures were viewed as graceful and majestic. On average, fathiers stood three meters high at the shoulder; people seeing one in person for the first time were often shocked by their size. When cooped up, fathiers required endurance exercises, so fathier transports were equipped with double-gravity chambers. They were known for their stinky, spicy smell.
Fathiers were able to be domesticated, and they were used as mounts in competition. The inhabitants of the planet Cantonica exploited them in highly popular races on the Canto Bight racetracks, in which the animals suffered abuse.
Around 1 BBY, the Spectre and Jedi padawan Ezra Bridger, while exploring the world between worlds, came across a mysterious portal decorated with constellation-like images of fathiers. However, he did not examine or enter it.
In 34 ABY, Resistance operatives Finn and Rose Tico traveled to Cantonica in search of a Master Codebreaker. During their search, the two ran into trouble with the Canto Bight Police Department, and they hid in the fathier stables at the Canto Bight racetrack. With the help of stable boy Temiri Blagg, Finn and Tico let the fathiers loose, riding a fathier to escape the police force.
Fathiers in the galaxyEdit
- "I learned to hunt with bassa hounds. I learned to ride fathiers in competition. I hated all of it."
- ―Lorica Demaris
At some point in his life, the Corellian Geb Teldar mucked the stall of a fathier for a living. Lorica Demaris, a Zeltron from the planet Kergans, learned how to ride fathiers in competition, which she hated.
Behind the scenesEdit
Fathiers were created for the 2017 film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson. They were first mentioned in the novel Aftermath: Empire's End, which was written by Chuck Wendig.
- Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds" (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Commander
- Aftermath: Empire's End (First mentioned) (misspelled as "faithier")
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny—Rose & Paige (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance (Mentioned only)
- The Last Jedi: Cobalt Squadron (Mentioned only)
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- "Rules of the Game"—Canto Bight
- "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing"—Canto Bight (Picture only)
- "The Ride"—Canto Bight
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – DJ – Most Wanted 1
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi: Rose and Finn's Secret Mission
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 3
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away (First identified as space horse)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Alien Archive - Species Guide
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing"—Canto Bight
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Rules of the Game"—Canto Bight
- ↑ "The Ride"—Canto Bight
- ↑ Star Wars Made Easy: A Beginner's Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- ↑ The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds"
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Join the Resistance