The Federal District, also called the Senate District or Legislative District and colloquially as the Core of Coruscant or Core Square, was the central government district on the planet Coruscant. It was the location of the Senate Building, the Avenue of the Core Founders, the Senate Office Building, and the Jedi Temple which, after the creation of the Galactic Empire, was rechristened as the Imperial Palace. Other notable locations included 500 Republica, the headquarters of the Naval Intelligence Agency, and the COMPNOR arcology, which contained the central offices of the Imperial Security Bureau.
Under the Galactic Republic, the central government district was generally referred to as the Senate District or the Legislative District, the focal point of which was the Senate Building that served as the meeting place of the Galactic Senate. In front of the Senate was Senate Plaza, whose Avenue of the Core Founders bore statues dedicated to the founding members of the Republic. Located nearby was the Senate Office Building, where the Supreme Chancellor maintained a suite of offices, 500 Republica, a prestigious and exclusive residential tower where Sheev Palpatine maintained an apartment during his service as senator of Naboo, and the Jedi Temple, which served as the home of the Jedi Order.
With the fall of the Republic and the establishment of the Galactic Empire, the Jedi Temple was converted into the Imperial Palace and the term "Federal District" became the primary appellation of the central government district. Informally, however, the Federal District was referred to by Coruscanti as the "Core of Coruscant" or "Core Square." The area surrounding the former Jedi Temple became a focal point of the so-called "supreme triangle" of the newly-christened Imperial Palace, together with the Naval Intelligence headquarters and the COMPNOR arcology that housed the Central Offices of the Imperial Security Bureau. It was also within the Federal District that the Imperial Military constructed a combined headquarters for the Imperial Army and the Imperial Navy. The district was covered with towering skyscrapers and its skies were kept clear via weather control.
In the days of the Republic, the term "Senate District" was synonymous with the business and power of the galactic government. The Clone Wars brought about great changes to the district, as it saw a massive build-up of new structures to house the increase in government agencies that were created in support of the Republic's war effort. In 21 BBY, the Senate District was the site of a terrorist bombing and a rampage by a freed Zillo Beast from the planet Malastare.
During the execution of Order 66, Imperial forces secured the Jedi Temple under the command of the newly-christended Sith Lord Darth Vader. The Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, publicly known as Galactic Emperor Sheev Palpatine, subsequently confiscated the Temple and refurbished the structure as the Imperial Palace, the seat of the Galactic Empire. Along with other government structures that were constructed around it, the palace became the focal point of the Federal District as part of the "supreme triangle."
After the death of Emperor Palpatine at the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, the turning point of the Galactic Civil War between the Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic, under the direction of Grand Vizier Mas Amedda, the Imperial Security Bureau seized control of Coruscant in an effort to put down the revolution that had erupted on the planet. As the Empire was driven back across the galaxy by the New Republic, Amedda was placed under house arrest by order of Gallius Rax, the self-styled Counselor to the Empire, while Imperial forces continued to lose ground and struggled to hold onto the upper levels of the Federal District. With the defeat of the Imperial remnants at the Battle of Jakku, Amedda signed the Galactic Concordance, formally marking the surrender of the Galactic Empire and replacing it on Coruscant with a provisional government that was overseen by the New Republic.
- Ultimate Star Wars (Identified as "Senate District" and "Legislative District")
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations]
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny: Meet the Heroes
- Forces of Destiny: Tales of Hope & Courage
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Tarkin
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ According to Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, Coruscant had been the capital of galactic politics for millennia. However, in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, Palpatine states that the Galactic Republic, whose capital was Coruscant, was only founded about 1,000 years before the Clone Wars. This implies that Coruscant was also the capital of the Galactic Republic's predecessor state, which the televised episode "The Mandalore Plot" referred to as the Old Republic.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Thrawn
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back"
- ↑ Aftermath
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End