Fire was the visible, highly exothermic reaction between combustible fuel and oxygen at extremely high temperatures. It usually appeared as orange or yellow glowing 'tongues' of erratically rising gas, but could be other colors depending on the chemical being burned and the completeness of the combustion. While its intense heat could cause physical damage, fire was an important part of many cultures and religions from ancient to modern times.
In archaic cultures, fire was often maintained for heating and cooking. Specific structures called fireplaces were often found in old houses and castles like Château Malreaux, but also in more modern housings. When Princess Leia Organa was imprisoned on Bakura in 5 ABY, her room was equipped with a fireplace. The Wookiees, who had managed to balance nature and technology in their culture, still used fireplaces at the time of the Galactic Civil War.
When establishing a campsite, a fire (then known as campfire) was often lit for warmth and psychological sense of security. In 1000 BBY, before their final battle, the Sith established a camp on Ruusan with many cooking fires around the tents. Similarly, when he first came to Dathomir, Luke Skywalker saw a campfire constructed by the Witches of Dathomir.
Besides domestic uses, fire was also used in deliberately harmful ways. A vast array of weapons known as flamethrowers projected streams of burning gas or flammable liquid. During the Clone Wars, a squad of specialized clone troopers were equipped with massive BT X-42 flamethrowers as well as other incendiary weapons. Years later, under the height of the Galactic Empire, the Incinerator troopers would burn their enemies to death. Around 3.5 ABY, the Sanyassan Marauders who lived on the forest moon of Endor made use of fire cannon to destroy the hut of the Warrick, a family of peaceful Ewoks. Among the Sith, the arcane and deadly Force power known as Convection also allowed its user to modify the heat of their own skin and set their opponent's robes on fire through direct contact. Another fire based Force Power, while rare, is Pyrokinesis which is used by both Sith and Jedi.
In the Sith culture, fire was often used to symbolize the vivid hate or passion. Lord Kopecz once used fire as a symbol for the power of the dark side of the Force, burning like anger with the heat of passion and emotion. In other cases, fire was considered a purifying substance. Rajivari's apprentices were known to be flawed, but once they "walked the fire", they were considered to be pure. Sacrificing oneself to the flames was considered a demonstration of resolve and strength. On the contrary, the Yuuzhan Vong considered fire to be an abomination.
Sometimes, large campfires known as "bonfires" would be built as part of a celebration. The Whiphids from Toola used to roast the remains of snow demons, and the young ones danced around them while the elders played the claw harps.
- The Old Republic: Revan
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- The Old Republic: Deceived
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- Knight Errant (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Christmas in the Stars (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
- Ewoks: The Battle for Endor
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi novel
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi junior novel
- The Truce at Bakura
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- Droids\Ewoks (Picture only)
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Boba Fett's Armor: An Essential Guide to a Walking Weapon
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- The New Essential Chronology (Picture only)
- (Picture only) (Packaging)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Fly Casual
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Truce at Bakura
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Courtship of Princess Leia
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars: New Battlefronts: The Visual Guide
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
- ↑ Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- Fire on Wikipedia