The Liberation of Coruscant, also known as the Seizure of Coruscant, the Battle for Coruscant, the Taking of Coruscant, and the Siege of Coruscant, was the battle in 7 ABY in which the fledgling New Republic captured control of the galactic capital planet of Coruscant from the Galactic Empire, hastening an eventual end to the Galactic Civil War.
Upon hearing of the death of Palpatine, citizens on Coruscant—then Imperial Center—staged an uprising, attacking Imperial forces in the streets, setting off fireworks, toppling statues of Palpatine, and desecrating other symbols of the Empire. Many citizens died in the resulting Imperial crackdown, and the planet remained in Imperial hands.
Despite Emperor Palpatine's death in 4 ABY at the Battle of Endor, the squabbling Imperial warlords still ruled most of the galaxy. Coruscant was in the hands of Ysanne Isard, Director of Imperial Intelligence, and with the New Republic realizing the importance of the galactic capital, it was decided that the planet would be captured in order to eliminate the Empire more quickly.
To start off the invasion, the New Republic began capturing strategic worlds near the Coruscant system, including Borleias. In the latter half of 6 ABY the Provisional Council made the decision to have a covert mission sent to Coruscant to gauge the Imperial presence on that world in preparation for an invasion.
However, Coruscant was protected by a powerful energy shield. Before the attack could begin, the shields would have to fall. Therefore, Wedge Antilles and Rogue Squadron were sent undercover into Imperial City to sabotage the shield generator.
Sixteen of the galaxy's worst criminals were also freed from the prison colony of Kessel and loosed on the Imperial City so that they could create a diversion to distract the Empire. The Rebels would later regret this; these criminals would go on to resurrect the Black Sun organization.
As the criminal riot continued, Rogue Squadron decided that if they could condense a large amount of water and create a super storm, they could destroy the energy shield protecting Coruscant with lightning strikes.
To do so, the Rogue operatives hijacked a construction droid to take them to the command building. There, they took remote control of one of the orbiting solar mirrors. The tightly focused light beam from the solar mirror rapidly boiled one of the planet's reservoirs. This caused a huge electrical storm which interrupted the power supply to the shield station and the shields soon collapsed.
With the shields down, a New Republic force led by Admiral Ackbar entered the system. This task force easily overwhelmed the Imperial force, since Ysanne Isard only kept a few Star Destroyers to defend the capital world.
Since any large ground invasion force would be detected by the Imperial sensor net, General Brenn Tantor landed a very small initial ground force near Coruscant's north pole, which proceeded to capture Imperial command centers and disable sensor nodes. This allowed Tantor to bring down a larger force undetected, which he used to pound away at the defenses between himself and the Imperial Palace. However, the city planet would not be taken easily, as forces under Grand General Malcor Brashin continued to resist the Republic invasion force, leading to intense building-to-building warfare.
One of many obstacles the army faced was the heavily fortified walls barring off the most important parts of Imperial City from the outside world. After a prolonged battle, the New Republic succeeded in breaching Imperial defenses and capturing several important maintenance and command facilities. Then began the extensive cleaning out of the inner defenses, as Republic troops went further and further into the city, getting closer to the Imperial Palace.
Taking the palaceEdit
- "OK, troops. This is the final battle. Our goal is the Imperial Palace. We need to destroy or capture every unit that stands in our way. Attack!"
- ―General Brenn Tantor
Nearing the end of the battle, the Imperial Palace was heavily shelled by New Republic forces. After its defenses were weakened, Luke Skywalker, with the help of Rand Talor and the Millennium Falcon, passed through General Tal Ashen's Elite Force and approached the Palace.
Arriving at the palace, the New Republic Forces arrived at the first palace gate. They proceeded to destroy the two advanced turrets guarding the palace gate as well as the gate itself via blaster cannons. They then proceeded to capture and recruit at least one Phase 2 Dark Trooper during this time as well as captured an advanced anti-air turret, killing four heavy missile troopers in the process. After destroying a second gate, alongside two more advanced turrets guarding it, the New Republic forces proceeded to capture a Heavy All Terrain Armored Transport, and then moved it out of range of a turret. Shortly thereafter, Lancer Squadron, in the form of seven B-Wings, arrived into battle to back them up. Shortly thereafter, they proceeded to take out several power cores as well as several mech factories. They then took out various airbases. The New Republic Forces then proceeded to capture more Anti-Air turrets before advancing on the Imperial Palace. However, they discovered that Elite Force, led by Ashen, was waiting for them with several repeating blaster troopers, bounty hunters, and various other materiel.
Ashen himself rode in an AT-AT, and his Elite Force troops included the finest stormtroopers in the Imperial military. During the firefight, an AT-AT was captured and was promptly used to destroy a nearby fortress. Ashen's AT-AT was brought down by Skywalker, but the general survived the crash. Ashen crawled out of the wreckage, pistol in hand, and began to fire on Republic troops alongside his stormtroopers. Shortly afterwards, Ashen was shot and killed. Not long after this, his remaining troops were either killed or captured.
After fighting with Imperial Guards, the New Republic task force captured the Palace and rescued Rand's wife, Kath, who was imprisoned there. Brenn Tantor also found his brother, Dellis Tantor, whom he had long thought dead. Aside from the few rescued prisoners, many Imperial officials and functionaries that were found were lynched by the New Republic soldiers.
- "Welcome to the next chapter in the history of the galaxy."
- ―General Tyr Taskeen to Brenn and Dellis Tantor
Very soon, Coruscant was in the hands of the New Republic. It was stated that Coruscant's space defenses were very weak for a planet of that importance, and that the battles on the planet itself were limited for the scale of the planet. However, Director Isard was not to be found in the Imperial Palace. Worse still, the planet's alien population was being killed by an artificial virus called the Krytos virus. Thus the Battle of Yag'Dhul for the bacta to cure the Non-human population, and stop the spreading of the virus on the planet would begin. While the New Republic was absent, the Imperials on Coruscant had licked their wounds and so the Galactic Empire was still the dominance in the galaxy.
Following their loss of Coruscant, the Imperial Ruling Council under Ars Dangor relocated to Orinda, which would serve as the technical Imperial capital until the Empire recaptured Coruscant in 10 ABY.
Behind the scenesEdit
The battle was also included in the expansion pack for Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, Clone Campaigns, although it was treated as an Old Republic mission instead of a Rebel Alliance/New Republic mission.
During the mission in Galactic Battlegrounds, players can find Jar Jar Binks by exploring the whole map. Since his appearance is most likely an easter egg, it is not known if it should be treated as canon.
- X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Star Wars: Force Commander
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- X-Wing: The Krytos Trap (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: The Bacta War (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: Wraith Squadron (Mentioned only)
- Dark Force Rising (First mentioned)
- X-Wing: Isard's Revenge (Mentioned only)
- Children of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Darksaber (Mentioned only)
- Dark Tide I: Onslaught (Mentioned only)
- Dark Tide II: Ruin (Mentioned only)
- Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Mentioned only)
- Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream (Mentioned only)
- The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- Outcast (Indirect mention only)
- X-Wing: Mercy Kill (Mentioned only)
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- "From the Files of Corellia Antilles"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 14
- Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the New Republic"—InQuest Gamer 50 "
- C-3PO: Tales of the Golden Droid
- The Essential Chronology (First identified as Battle for Coruscant)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition (Indirect mention only)
- Alien Anthology
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Chronology
- "A Long Time Ago...."—Star Wars Insider 105
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Atlas (First identified as Liberation of Coruscant (7 ABY))
- The Essential Guide to Warfare (First identified as Liberation of Coruscant)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 X-Wing: The Krytos Trap
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ The Essential Reader's Companion
- ↑ 6.00 6.01 6.02 6.03 6.04 6.05 6.06 6.07 6.08 6.09 6.10 6.11 6.12 6.13 6.14 6.15 Star Wars: Force Commander
- ↑ 7.00 7.01 7.02 7.03 7.04 7.05 7.06 7.07 7.08 7.09 7.10 7.11 7.12 7.13 7.14 7.15 7.16 7.17 7.18 7.19 7.20 7.21 7.22 7.23 7.24 7.25 7.26 7.27 7.28 7.29 7.30 7.31 7.32 7.33 7.34 7.35 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 The Essential Chronology
- ↑ During the campaign, the player can either destroy the TIE Advanced x1s and other fighters stationed at the airbases, or else capture them. The decision has no impact either way, as any that are captured will end up shot down by an anti-air turret anyway.
- ↑ Children of the Jedi