- "Y-wing pilots bragged of their great victory at the First Battle of Ord Biniir."
- ―Soontir Fel
In 0 BBY, during the Galactic Civil War, the First Battle of Ord Biniir—also known simply as the Battle of Ord Biniir—took place when a group of Rebel Alliance Y-wing starfighters attacked the Imperial-controlled planet Ord Biniir. The Imperial 233rd fighter wing defending Ord Biniir attempted to repel the Alliance attackers, but the Rebel Y-wing starfighters easily defeated them, capturing the planet for the Alliance. However, a few days later, the second TIE Fighter squadron of the 181st Imperial Fighter Wing recaptured the planet in the Second Battle of Ord Biniir.
- "The 233rd got mauled by Rebel Y-wings and lost Ord Biniir…"
- ―Colonel Evir Derricote
In 0 BBY, during the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance, the Outer Rim planet Ord Biniir was under Imperial control. The planet itself was protected by the Imperial 233rd fighter wing, composed of approximately six starfighter squadrons. However, in that same year, a large amount of Rebel BTL Y-wing starfighters attacked Ord Biniir—in what would later be called the First Battle of Ord Biniir, or simply the Battle of Ord Biniir—hoping to capture the planet for the Alliance. The 233rd's starfighters tried to fend off the Y-wing assault, but the Rebel Y-wings decimated the Imperial fighter wing, seizing Ord Biniir.
The Rebels' capture of Ord Biniir helped prove the usefulness of the Alliance's Y-wings in battle, and many Y-wing pilot veterans of the battle went on to brag about their exploits at Ord Biniir. However, a few days after the First Battle of Ord Biniir, the Empire dispatched the second TIE Fighter squadron of the 181st Fighter Wing, under the command of Captain Soontir Fel, to retake the planet. During the Second Battle of Ord Biniir, Fel's second squadron defeated the Y-wings stationed on Ord Biniir and retook the planet for the Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
The First Battle of Ord Biniir was first mentioned in the Y-wing's entry in The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels, published on March 19, 1996. The events of the battle were later expanded upon in the twenty-fifth issue of the Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron comic series, The Making of Baron Fel, published on November 5, 1997.
The Making of Baron Fel refers to the 233rd as a fighter wing, made of approximately six starfighter squadrons. However, the 233rd's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia entry states that the 233rd was a fighter group, made of about three squadrons. For consistency, this article assumes that the 233rd was a fighter wing, not a fighter group.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron 25: The Making of Baron Fel (Mentioned only)
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (First mentioned)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (Multiple entries)
- (as Battle of Ord Biniir)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron 25: The Making of Baron Fel
- ↑ Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Making of Baron Fel defines a fighter wing as being made up of six squadrons.
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- ↑ The Making of Baron Fel defines a fighter group as being made up of three squadrons.