The First Guard was an Elite Praetorian Guard who served as a bodyguard of Supreme Leader Snoke, ruler of the First Order. Equipped with segmented plate armor and an electro-bisento, the First Guard eschewed ranged weapons in favor of melee combat. The First Guard was killed on board the Supremacy when Kylo Ren, Snoke's dark side apprentice, betrayed him with the help of Rey, another Force-sensitive individual. Together they defeated and killed all of the Praetorian Guards in Snoke's throne room.
The First Guard was a member of the Elite Praetorian Guard—crimson warriors who served as the personal bodyguards of Supreme Leader Snoke of the First Order. The First Guard was stationed in Snoke's throne room along with the other Praetorian Guards at the time of Kylo Ren's audience with the Supreme Leader in 34 ABY. Angered by Snoke's disapproving appraisal of his defeat on Starkiller Base, Ren took a step in his master's direction, causing the First Guard to snap into a combat stance against the dark apprentice.
The First Guard was still present in the throne room when Ren returned with the Jedi learner Rey as his prisoner. However, instead of executing the former scavenger, Ren chose to assassinate his master—resulting in a confrontation between the two Force-sensitives and the Praetorian Guards. Like the other Praetorians, the First Guard attempted to avenge the slain Supreme Leader, but they were all killed by the two Force-users.
Personality and traitsEdit
Serving as Snoke's last line of defense, the First Guard was one of eight elite sentinels entrusted with the security of the Supreme Leader. Like the other Praetorian Guards, the First Guard was equipped with a suit of armor that was painful to the wearer, yet endured it out of unwavering loyalty and duty to the ruler of the First Order. A lethal and ever-vigilant sentry, the First Guard snapped into a combat stance when Ren took a step in Snoke's direction—his rage becoming too strong to contain. The guard resumed a standing posture when signaled by Snoke to stand down, yet nonetheless regarded the Supreme Leader's disciple with wary suspicion. As one of Snoke's guardians, the First Guard's fighting style was a mix of several forms of martial arts such as Teräs Käsi, Bakuuni Hand, Echani unarmed forms, and Nar Kanji "Blind Alley" techniques. After Snoke's death, the First Guard perished along with the other Praetorians while attempting to avenge the Supreme Leader.
As a member of the Elite Praetorian Guard, the First Guard wore a brilliant red uniform that deliberately evoked the memory of Emperor Sheev Palpatine's Royal Guard. Unlike the Emperor's guards, the First Guard's combat armor was not encumbered by ceremonial robes. Designed for flexibility, the First Guard's segmented plate armor also included large pauldrons to deflect vertical melee strikes. Foregoing ranged weaponry, the First Guard wielded an electro-bisento—a high-tech melee weapon with a tempered metal blade connected to an ultrasonic generator for greater lethality.
Behind the scenesEdit
The First Guard first appeared along with the rest of the Elite Praetorian Guard in the sequel trilogy's 2017 film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, directed by Rian Johnson, and was first identified in Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 5
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as First Guard)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Activity Book with Stickers
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens in 34 ABY. As Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi carries on immediately from the events of The Force Awakens, it can be assumed to take place in the same year.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded states that the members of the Elite Praetorian Guard were all humans.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition