The First Knowledge quarter of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant is the working title of the northwestern side of the ancient edifice. Crowned by the Tower of First Knowledge this section of the Temple was infused with rooms dedicated to study and research, along with facilities for the tutelage of the future Knights of the Jedi Order in the ways of the Force and lightsaber combat.
When the Jedi Temple was first established circa 4000 BBY by the group of Jedi collectively known as the Four Masters, the Jedi initially built small meditation facilities to service the diplomats that resided on Coruscant. However, following the Devastation of Ossus and the Great Jedi Library located there, the Order relocated its academy to the Temple and began to expand. As the Ziggurat took shape and the Jedi Council towers soared over the Temple Precinct, the First Knowledge quarter became recognizable.
While the Temple would stand proud for several centuries, it was largely destroyed during the Sacking of Coruscant when the resurgent Sith Empire attacked the capitol. The Galactic Senate would later fund the reconstruction of the Temple and the northeastern wing was rebuilt with the Tower of First Knowledge being completed in 1000 BBY. The Temple would stand as a beacon of hope in the galaxy for the next millennia, offering comfort to the misbegotten and oppressed.
In 19 BBY, at the height of the three year long Clone Wars, the Temple was placed under martial law by the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic who secretly was in fact the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious. Sidious sent the 501st Legion of the Grand Army of the Republic against the Temple under the pretense of a "Jedi Rebellion". The clone troopers executed an operation known as Knightfall during which they slaughtered all of the Jedi present at the Temple under the leadership of Sith apprentice Darth Vader. Within the First Knowledge quarter, the troopers slaughtered all of the younglings present here, including the infants within the nurseries. Darth Vader confront Knight Serra Keto within one of the communication centers near the First Knowledge Tower and would proceed to kill her in one of the training halls at the base of spire. After completing his work at the top of the Ziggurat the Sith descended to the Room of a Thousand Fountains and killed Keto's Master, Cin Drallig, and the younglings he protected there.
Following the abandonment of the Temple, the quarter was sparsely populated aside from the Imperial agents rummaging through the Jedi Archives. In 2 BBY the assassin Starkiller slaughtered all of the Shadow Troopers guarding the main entrance to the First Knowledge Tower, along with several stormtroopers stationed in the Archives.
The First Knowledge quarter was made up of several levels of chambers and rooms that were used for the education of Jedi and the research needed to unearth new knowledge. Many of the goings-on in this quarter were overseen by the Council of First Knowledge who met in the Tower that crowned this section of the Temple Ziggurat.
On the first level of the quarter stood the seven story Room of a Thousand Fountains, a giant green house which evoked a meditative atmosphere used by all Jedi who resided at the Temple. The next level up was home to the Detention Center in which those Jedi students who misbehaved and captured Sith and their monstrosities were kept. The next level was occupied by the Offices of the Jedi Service Corps; including the Agricultural Corps Research Laboratories, Halls of Healing, and the offices of the Exploration Corps. As the area reached the peak of the Ziggurat, the classrooms used in the instruction of Padawans were seen more frequently, as well as training chambers and verandas.The epicenter of this section were the Jedi Archives and library, which housed the near-infinite banks of knowledge from over a thousand generations of history. Incorporated into this area was the Analysis wing, a series of stations used in the analysis of artifacts from across the galaxy
Behind the scenesEdit
In Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game Darth Vader confronts Serra Keto and Cin Drallig near the base of the Tower of First Knowledge. While this is the canon site of Keto's death, Cin Drallig is shown to die in the Room of a Thousand Fountains in the Revenge of the Sith novel. It perhaps can be reconciled by stating that Drallig first dueled Vader here, and later fled to the Fountain Room.
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- Jedi Apprentice: The Only Witness (First appearance)
- Jedi Apprentice Special Edition: The Followers
- Jedi Quest: The Master of Disguise
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Legacy of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The New Droid Army
- The Cestus Deception
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Holocron Heist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lightsaber Lost"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game
- Star Wars: Purge: Seconds to Die (Appears in flashback(s))
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force (First identified as First Knowledge Quarter)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Deceived
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen
- ↑ Legacy of the Force: Bloodlines
- ↑ Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed