The flametrooper was a variant of the stormtrooper utilized by the First Order roughly thirty years after the Battle of Endor. Utilizing D-93 Incinerators to root out entrenched enemy positions and engulf any resistance, flametroopers were equipped with flame-proof armor and feared for their ability to turn any battlefield into a blazing inferno.
Commonly known as "roasters", "hotheads" or "burnouts" by Resistance fighters, First Order flametroopers were best used to flush out enemy entrenchments, with standard infantry firing on those fleeing the flames. One of the three main types of weapons specialists assigned to stormtrooper squads of ten, flametroopers and stormtroopers worked in tandem, as the faster stormtroopers could protect the slower and more methodical flametroopers while out in the field. Additionally, the flame created by the flametrooper required them to move at a slower pace to avoid entering their own blazes. When strategically deployed, they could deny cover to enemy forces along with supplying cover for allies with walls of flame that stormtrooper armor could withstand. In dry and flammable environments, flametrooper deployment could lead to a quick and decisive victory. Additionally, the flame itself was nearly inescapable when directed at an opponent.
A standard flametrooper was equipped with a D-93 Incinerator that was a combination of a single, double-barreled D-93w flame projector gun and backpack that housed twin outer conflagrine-14 fuel tanks and a central pressurized propellant tank. The suit included a reinforced cyramech helmet with minimized openings, a narrow slit visor to reduce weapon glare, and supplemental breathing tank linkages. Other suit features included a temperature control body glove, integrated knee covers, heat deflecting armored gaiters, articulated greaves for greater foot movement, and positive grip boots.
Based on the millennia-old infantry mainstay of incendiary weaponry, modernized by Mandalorian super commandos and clone troopers during the Clone Wars, the flametroopers of the First Order would continue the practice of utilizing flame-based weaponry to crush opposition with some of the latest technology available to the First Order's martial forces.
Flametroopers were used in the subjugation of Tuanul village on Jakku about 29 years after the end of the Galactic Civil War. They set fire to huts that housed members of the Church of the Force, including that of Lor San Tekka.
Behind the scenesEdit
First Order Flametroopers appear in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. Flametroopers can be seen in Starkiller Base among standard First Order troopers. In the costumes used for the film, the troopers' armor and helmet were made of molded polyurethane, while their gloves also included polyurethane elements along with leather and cotton. Their collars were built from neoprene and rubber, with gussets made from both cotton lycra and molded rubber. Other elements included rubber belts, cotton lycra undergarments, leather boots, and a backpack and gun which were 3D-printed with aluminum metal work.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Poe Dameron 2: Black Squadron, Part II
- Poe Dameron 3: Black Squadron, Part III
- Poe Dameron 11: The Gathering Storm, Part IV (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part I
- Star Wars: Force Collection
- Star Wars: Card Trader
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know (First mentioned)
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75103 First Order Transporter)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75149 Resistance X-Wing Fighter)
- Star Wars: I Am a Stormtrooper
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- (First identified as flametrooper)