Countermeasure flares were anti-warhead defense mechanisms used by small spacecraft. They consisted of a supply of small, inexpensive low-yield warheads whose targeting systems were designed to home in on incoming warheads and detonate them before they posed a threat to the ship itself. If no incoming warheads were detected, the flare would instead home in on the nearest enemy starfighter, though not powerful enough to cause significant damage, it was useful as brief distraction. While less accurate, and therefore less reliable, than the chaff type, the flare was more versatile.
Signal flares were used to quickly display a visual signal over a long distance when trying to either maintain communications silence, or if communications were down. These were usually color-coded and sometimes emitted certain sounds to correspond to whatever situation the priority message was pertaining to. For example, during the Clone Wars, when Commander Cody and Captain Rex arrived for an inspection, clone trooper Fives shot a red flare that alerted them of Separatist droid commando's presence in Rishi Station.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- Star Wars: Droids—"Coby and the Starhunters"
- Planet of the Mists
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Star Wars Campaign Pack
- Star Wars Gamemaster Kit
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles (Also as "illum flare")
- The Politics of Contraband
- Heir to the Empire Sourcebook
- Wanted by Cracken
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles, Second Edition (Also as "illum flare")
- Galaxy Guide 10: Bounty Hunters
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide