- "That's the way the flatcake crumbles."
- ―A common saying during the Cold War
A flatcake, or flat cake, was a flat, circular food that was common in the Galactic Republic and came in a number of varieties, such as the popular Trandoshani flatcake. Edible to a variety of species, flatcakes were the subject of some popular sayings or insults and were a common food throughout various periods of galactic history, such as the Mandalorian Wars, Cold War, Clone Wars, and Galactic Civil War.
- "Would you like a sweet flatcake instead? It's fresh."
Flatcakes, also known as flat cakes, were a flat and circular food that varied in size; some varieties were the sweet flatcake, the toasted flatcake, and the Trandoshani flatcake, which could be served with sautéed fruit. Shredded grum on flatcake was also a type of food that was common during the Galactic Civil War. Flatcakes were edible to a variety of species, including Humans, Trandoshans, and Snivvians.
Flatcakes were prevalent in the galaxy by the time of the Mandalorian Wars. In 3963 BBY, the Trandoshan Slyssk discovered that he could greatly improve the flavor of Trandoshani flatcakes by sautéing them with fruit. Over three hundred years later, during the Cold War, Brassk's Trandoshani Flatcakes was a company that produced Trandoshani flatcakes and claimed to be the only company that served them with authentic fruit from the trees of the planet Kashyyyk. Loonda, a Human woman who lived on the planet Ord Mantell during the Cold War, regularly made sweet flatcakes.
"Flatcake" was sometimes used as an insult, and "a piece of flatcake" was a common expression that was used to express how easy something was. The COO cook droid COO-2180 served flatcakes aboard the passenger liner Jendirian Valley in 22 BBY. By the time of the Galactic Civil War, shredded grum on flatcake was a common food eaten by the Galactic Empire's stormtroopers. Flatcakes were still popular by the year 137 ABY, when the astromech droid R2-D2 made a stack of flatcakes for the Rawk family and Jariah Syn on the planet Kiffu.
Behind the scenesEdit
Flatcakes first briefly appeared in the theatrical film Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, which was released on May 16, 2002. They were first mentioned by name in the novel Allegiance, which was released in January 2007, and a variety of flatcakes, the Trandoshani flatcake, then appeared in the comic book Knights of the Old Republic 15: Days of Fear, Part 3 in April 2007. The food has received mentions in a number of different sources since then. Flatcake is used as an in-universe equivalent to a number of real-life pastries, including cake, cookies, and pancakes.
- The Adjudicator Special Report: The Colonies (Mentioned only)
- Knights of the Old Republic 15: Days of Fear, Part 3
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Allegiance (Mentioned only) (First identified as flatcake)
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Mentioned only)
- Legacy 34: Storms, Part 1
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Game Master's Kit (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Knights of the Old Republic 15: Days of Fear, Part 3
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Conversation with Kira Carsen: "Escaping Korriban"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Allegiance
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Legacy 34: Storms, Part 1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Smuggler Mission: "Deadly Delivery" on Ord Mantell
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Warzone: "Huttball"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Bounty Hunter Mission: "A Barter with the Lady of Pain" on Tatooine
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic—Flashpoint: "Colicoid War Game"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 The New Essential Guide to Droids