A flight simulator was a device used to train and test starfighter pilots. The Alliance to Restore the Republic used a simulator which resembled the interior of an X-wing cockpit removed from its frame and connected to a large monitor. The highest score on this simulator was held by pilot Wedge Antilles, although his record was trumped by new recruit Luke Skywalker shortly before the Battle of Yavin. The simulator was designed to present Rebel pilots with a no-win scenario. It immediate plunged the pilot into a space battle with simulated Imperial forces, steadily increasing the number until the battle became overwhelming and even the most skilled pilot could no longer survive under the onslaught.
During the Age of the Empire, the Jelucan aristocrat Thane Kyrell's family owned an old flight simulator. He invited his new-found friend Ciena Ree to practice with him. The two later joined the Imperial Navy. In the months before the attack on Tuanul, Rey, a scavenger on the desert planet Jakku, practiced flying using an A-wing simulaton.
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Antilles Extraction"
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (First appearance)
- "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Join the Resistance
- Join the Resistance: Attack on Starkiller Base (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- The Force Awakens: Rey's Story
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter (Mentioned only)