Force Friday is a Star Wars merchandising event.
The original Force Friday event was held on September 4, 2015. The event was a celebration of the release of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens and features the release of the film's toy and action-figure line, a number of new novels and reference books that are part of the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens initiative, and other merchandise such as cosmetics.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the Star Wars anthology film, received a Force Friday event on September 30, 2016. Disney and Lucasfilm announced the release of new toys in conjunction with its "Go Rogue" initiative, which encourages fans to create their own stories or skits in the Star Wars galaxy.
As part of its marketing initiative, The Walt Disney Company partnered with eight major brands: Covergirl & Max Factor, Duracell, FCA US, General Mills, HP, Subway and Verizon. Toys "R" Us also confirmed its participation in Force Friday, being held at all of its locations in the United States with the sole exception of stores located in Paramus, New Jersey. Visitors received a free Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster. As part of its event, Toys "R" Us held a contest with the winner offered an exclusive "Midnight Madness VIP Shopping Spree." The winner was Thomas Burns of Jacksonville, Florida. Walmart also participated in the event, offering an exclusive Star Wars collectible that was previewed at Comic Con.
Online leaks confirmed the existence of action figures for major new characters in the film, such as Finn and Rey, as well as bobbleheads of these characters and others like BB-8 and Kylo Ren. On August 24, 2015, Hasbro Inc. released a catalog of its planned offerings for the event. These included character masks, various action figures, a "Battle Action Millennium Falcon", Micro Machines vehicles and more.
On September 3, the Star Wars YouTube channel live streamed a worldwide unboxing event by Maker Studios. The event was broadcast from fifteen major cities, leading up to the midnight release of Force Friday products.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Global Toy Unboxing Highlights on the official Star Wars YouTube Channel
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 161
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Orange, B. (February 13, 2016). Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Is Getting Its Own Force Friday This September. Movieweb. Retrieved on August 31, 2016.
- ↑ Richwine, Lisa (February 16, 2017). Disney plans midnight 'Star Wars' event to unveil 'Last Jedi' toys. WHTC. Retrieved on February 16, 2017.
- ↑ Harwell, Drew (August 17, 2015). With the force of ‘Star Wars,’ Disney tightens grip on toy universe. Washington Post. Retrieved on August 20, 2015.
- ↑ Toys "R" Us: Star Wars 2015. Toys "R" Us. Retrieved on August 20, 2015.
- ↑ Barron, Andy (July 9, 2015). The Force is strong at Walmart: Company to offer a new generation of Star WarsTM merchandise at 12:01 a.m. on ‘Force Friday’. Walmart. Retrieved on August 20, 2015.
- ↑ Sept. 4 'Force Friday' merchandise launch is meant to stoke fan fervor for next 'Star Wars' film. San Jose Mercury News (August 18, 2015). Retrieved on August 20, 2015.
- ↑ Nutt, Shannon (August 17, 2015). Force Friday! A.K.A. Just Take All My Money, Disney!. High-Def digest. Retrieved on August 20, 2015.
- ↑ Smith, Troy (August 24, 2015). Hasbro unveils 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys available 'Force Friday'. Cleveland.com. Retrieved on August 25, 2015.