Force Jump, also known as Force Leap, used the Force to augment the user's natural leaping ability. Force-users adept in this technique could perform awe-inspiring vertical/horizontal leaps with impunity.
Using the Force to enhance one's jumping ability was one of the most commonly used Force powers by Force-users throughout history. The height to which a user could jump varied depending on skill level and physique; however, most Jedi Masters could easily jump several times their own height. Jedi Knight Jaden Korr was known to have been able to jump up to eight times higher than a normal jump and a Jedi during the Battle of Galidraan was able to jump high enough to reach the Mandalorian Myles who was flying high in the air using a Jetpack and cut him in half. A skilled user could leap tremendous distances when combining this technique with that of the muscle-enhancing Force speed.
In combat, a well-timed Force Jump enabled the user to quickly cross the distance to engage an enemy; this was most widely employed during lightsaber battles. It was also common for Jedi to use this technique to evade attacks in lightsaber combat, many would use and practice sai acrobatics which relied on the Force for the jump's power, height, and speed. This ability was essential for practitioners of the acrobatic fourth form of lightsaber combat, such as Yoda.
At the time of the Dark Nest Crisis, Jedi trainees of the New Jedi Order at the academy on Ossus practiced their Force Leaps from a young age by jumping over a three-meter cross ray. The youngest students at the academy would practice this way, with safety repulsorlifts to break their fall if they couldn’t land on their own.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, the player suffers from damage when they jump high and then fall again to the ground (for example, whenever they fail to reach the high step they intended to climb). However, in Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast this is not the case, signifying that the user performing the jump also had some resistance to gravity while using this power.
In Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, the Jedi Guardian class has a special ability, Force Jump, which allows users to attack an enemy from afar instantly by jumping, plus bonus roll at high level.
- Obi-Wan: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Card: Force Jump)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Card: Force Leap)
- "Secrets of the Force"—Star Wars Insider 123
- Star Wars: Head-to-Head Tag Teams (as Force-assisted leap)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Who Are the Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- ↑ Jango Fett: Open Seasons
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- ↑ Dark Nest I: The Joiner King
- ↑ Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- ↑ Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic