| Usage and history
A Force detector or Jedi reader was a device used by Emperor Palpatine's Jedi hunters to identify Force-sensitive individuals. It consisted of two sheet crystal paddles connected to a control pack powered by rare thaissen crystals found only on Mimban. When an individual was placed between the paddles, the device would produce a hologram of the person in question. If the individual was Force sensitive, a blue corona would surround the hologram.
Some of the devices were recovered on Coruscant by Wedge Antilles, and Luke Skywalker later used the devices in his efforts to find candidates for his Jedi Praxeum at Yavin 4. Dark Jedi Brakiss stole a few of the devices and used them to discover potential students for his Shadow Academy. Luke later disdained their use, although it is known that Kyp Durron used one to test his Padawan Miko Reglia.
- Tag & Bink: Revenge of the Clone Menace (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Dark Times 7: Parallels, Part 2
- Jedi Search (First appearance)
- Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Droids, Technology and the Force: A Clash of Phenomena
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (JED2, Jedi Detection Devices)
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual