Force lightning was a power that Force users, such as the Sith, could conjure through the dark side. It was an offensive technique which involved a discharge of electrical energy from the practitioner's hands and was capable of inflicting severe pain on the target of this attack as well as possible disfigurement. A variant of the ability, known as Chain lightning, involved a burst of lightning that would spread from the first target to those around them.
A Jedi could deflect the lightning with a lightsaber; a powerful Jedi Master, such as Yoda was capable of absorbing the attack using only the Force but only for a short while and with immense effort. Gungan personal energy shields were also capable of repelling Force lightning.
Other dark side wielders besides the Sith were able to harness the ability. Mother Talzin conjured her own version of Force lightning that was powerful enough to block Darth Sidious' lightning. Supreme Leader Snoke used it to subdue his apprentice, Kylo Ren when the young knight lost control his anger. Snoke's use of Force lightning varied from previous practitioners as he projected energy against the floor, causing it to bounce upward and knock the target off their feet.
In some cases, the intensity of Force lightning was so high that the victim's skeletal system glowed and could be seen through his or her skin—as demonstrated with Mace Windu—or even through heavy armor.
Behind the scenesEdit
There has been a debate about the consequences of Force lightning in an individual. In Revenge of the Sith, after having been bested by Mace Windu, Sidious uses Force lightning against the Jedi Master, who repels it with his lightsaber, deflecting it on Sidious and disfiguring and scarring the Sith Lord's body. However, previous to the Force lightning's appearance in Sith, Sidious blasted Luke Skywalker with Force lightning in Return of the Jedi several times and Skywalker wasn't disfigured or scarred. An explanation of this inconsistency has yet to be given by the Lucasfilm Story Group.
In Star Wars Legends stories, a few Jedi, such as Luke Skywalker, used Force lightning. The Databank entry for Force lightning, however, says that in current canon, it's exclusively a dark-side power.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Trouble on Tibalt"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Pit and the Pinnacle"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Flight of the Arrowhead"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Return of the Jedi"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- (Set: 75093 Death Star Final Duel)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Destiny Two-Player Game
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Altar of Mortis"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four