- "Premonitions… Premonitions… deep questions they are. Sense the future, once all Jedi could; now few alone have the skill. Visions… gifts from the Force, and curses."
- "I have seen the Temple in ruins, the Senate smashed, and Coruscant itself shattered by orbital bombardment from immense ships of impossible design. I have seen Coruscant, the seat of galactic culture, become a jungle far more hostile and alien than any on Haruun Kal. I have seen the end of civilization."
- ―Mace Windu, foreseeing the Battle of Coruscant
Generally, when peering deep into the Force, a Force user had the potential to see events that could happen in the future. Force visions were extremely rare, and uncontrollable. Often, one would meditate to gain a vision, but only a few would actually succeed. Anakin Skywalker and his descendants, particularly his son, Luke, and his grandsons, Jacen Solo and Ben Skywalker, were often prone to Force Visions.
Master Yoda felt that visions were of great importance to the Force, and often acted on them as best he could. However, the Jedi warned that the future was always in motion, and that the events were only possible. As such, interpreting a vision by oneself was generally considered dangerous.
Some Jedi and Sith skilled in this technique were capable of detecting when friends and apprentices were in danger, examining details of past events, and predicting the probable outcome of a stated course of action.
The Sith were also very vision-prone, but unlike the Jedi, they believed—either through experience or just because they wanted to believe it—that visions would always come to pass and that they must work to make it so. Some Sith would even input their own ideas of what might come to be into their visions. Darth Sidious was perhaps the most vision-prone Dark Lord of the Sith in history, and used it to ensure his own election as Supreme Chancellor, and his ascension as Galactic Emperor. Emperor Palpatine also consulted on his visions with the Prophets of the Dark Side, a Sith splinter group that was dedicated to studying the future through the dark side of the Force.
Some Sith, such as Darth Traya, could even peer into the future many thousands of years and predict events with great accuracy. This way, she could foretell the death of the last of the Mandalorians at the hands of a Jedi.
Force vision had its limitations. Palpatine, in his visions of the future, never saw himself die. Darth Caedus also saw many possibilities of the future, yet none of them involved his death. It is unknown why this limitation occurred. However, Darth Tenebrous was able to calculate the future and foresee his own death, showing that this limitation could be overcome if one possessed prodigious skill in that area.
Force visions could be a form of precognition.
- "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."
- Darth Caedus
- Zayne Carrick
- Darth Cognus
- Jorus C'baoth
- Joruus C'baoth
- Dorsk 81
- Krynda Draay
- Mara Jade Skywalker
- Qui-Gon Jinn
- Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Sha Koon
- Jaden Korr
- Rahm Kota
- Pong Krell
- Galen Marek
- Duron Qel-Droma
- Wolf Sazen
- Bastila Shan
- Roan Shryne
- Anakin Skywalker
- Ben Skywalker
- Cade Skywalker
- Luke Skywalker
- Allana Solo
- Leia Organa Solo
- Jaina Solo Fel
- Meetra Surik
- Osvald Teshik  (though not Force-sensitive)
- Raana Tey
- Darth Thanaton
- Shado Vao
- Mace Windu
- Darth Zash
- Sith Emperor
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Legendary Yoda
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Balance of the Force (Card: Premonitions of the Future)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Dark Side (Non-canonical source) (Non-canonical mention)