I have noticed that the Star Wars pages on Wikipedia pale in comparison to those on Wookieepedia. Some examples are Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and Wikipedia:Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Mara Jade and Wikipedia:Mara Jade, and Shadows of the Empire and Wikipedia:Shadows of the Empire.
Is it permissible to copy content from a Wookieepedia article and incorporate it into a Wikipedia article. I think that the Lego Star Wars articles especially show how much Wikipedia can benefit from this. However, I wanted to see if this was permissible before I tried anything. Thunderforge 03:16, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
Like wikipedia, content on Wookieepedia is licensed under the GFDL. Simply cite Wookieepedia in your sourcing. But be forewarned that the reason that the articles pale in comparison to ours is that things like that may be considered fancruft over there and the larger a specific-interest article becomes, the more likely someone is going to want to VfD it. Wildyoda 03:20, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- Right, the whole reason they pale to ours is because Wikipedia doesn't want it. Thus Wookiee was born. -- Riffsyphon1024 03:36, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- They're policy of notability is somewhat distrubing (Mon Mothma was on a list of minor characters for some time, yet everyone in Kotor got their own article). Trust me, they don't like EU material over there. -- SFH 03:41, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- Mon Mothma is not as notable as the KOTOR characters from wikipedia's perspective. That's not disturbing in the least. --School of Thrawn 101 05:53, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- Also, on Wikipedia they write articles from an out of universe perspective; if it's just a character biography, than it won't meet their needs. See the "trophey case" section of this page for examples of what they consider to be good articles. -LtNOWIS 03:44, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- I liked this section: -- Riffsyphon1024 05:57, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
Things to rememberEdit
- This is a general interest encyclopedia, not GameFAQs or Wookieepedia. In fact, look to see if your article is already in Wookieepedia, there's a good chance there is at least a stub article, if not a full history and background of the character that goes into far more detail that Wikipedia wants.
- Only a few characters, items, or spaceships deserve their own entry.
- See: What Wikipedia is Not.
- Again, we stress: this project is mainly for cleanup, organization, enhancement, factual fixes, and so on. Trivial information and fanfiction are frowned upon.
- Wouldn't you need to essentially de-Wookify anything you copied over? Seems like a waste of effort. -- Darth Culator (Talk) 11:29, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- Alright, so in-universe stuff is out. But what about things like Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga? I don't see any reason why the article on Wookieepedia wouldn't belong on Wikipedia because it is about a real world topic. Wikipedia actually does have it's own article about this game, but as you can see, it's pathetic. So would that article be allowed to be ported to Wikipedia? Thunderforge 20:33, 4 June 2007 (UTC)
- My advice, mainly because I'm a lot more obnoxious person on wikipedia than I am around here, would be to just be bold and go for it. If they don't like it, they can weed out whatever they consider extra. Just don't be suprised or offended if some/all of your work is removed. It's up to community opinion over there and we're going to obviously be biased judges of that, having started this wikia after our "fancruft" was deleted over there. Wildyoda 20:38, 4 June 2007 (UTC)