Something I'm researching out of curiosity. All these are off the top of my head, there's probably more I haven't found yet.
- We have "Mara", meaning "bitter" in Hebrew (which I've always found a bit ironic in-universe, but that's another subject).
- We have "Luke", meaning "luminous", again in Hebrew (fitting in with the whole light-side-avatar thing. Don't care if this wasn't intended).
- And the bodies of the Endor system, which are named after cities in the Old Testament.
- As well as the Leviathan, which likely has nothing to do with the traditional sea monster apart from name (I've never cared for KotOR myself, and I don't intend to check the article).
Just in case anyone's wondering, I'm an atheist. Firebird 03:28, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- I thought we had a list somewhere, but I guess not. Anyway, there's Charal, the Witch of Endor. -- Ozzel 04:06, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- Personally, I'd like for a page on this to be created, even if it's just a user's sub-page. I mean, if a user can create a subpage on sexual references in Star Wars, why can't their be an article on this?--Jedi Kasra 19:22, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- Besides, George Lucas did take plenty of ideas from Christianity, Judaism, Taoism, and Buddhism. There should be something recognizing this fact.--Jedi Kasra 19:38, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- If such an article is made, it should only include intentional biblical references, with references. Though I'm not seeing the necessity of having the article. -- AdmirableAckbar (Talk) 19:56, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- I rather like this idea as well, but per Ackbar's first statement. Atarumaster88 (Talk page) 22:38, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- Why do we need/want list of references to anything in Star Wars on Wookieepedia anyway? --Imperialles 22:45, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
- Just what do you guys call "intentional"?--Jedi Kasra 00:15, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- We had a page for Star Wars sources and analogues, but it was deleted. -LtNOWIS 01:36, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- Hey, I never asked for someone to create a page for this. Like I said, this was born of pure curiosity. If you want to, though, be my guest. Firebird 10:42, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- I say create it. Zhran 15:55, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- Its a good idea, I say we go for it RC-1136 15:59, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- It would soon be filled with imagined biblical references rather than ones that have been confirmed by the authors involved. There's a reason we go around deleting the "Luke also means monkey in Swahili" stuff from BTS sections and this page would be nothing but. By all means discuss it here, but we do not need an article. Green Tentacle (Talk) 17:58, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- I think if we keep an eye on it it'll work fine, I think that to say it would soon be filled with imagined biblical references rather than ones that have been confirmed by the authors involved is the wrong attitude to take when making a page like this, we can always remove that kind of made up/fanon from it after, and I think there are plenty of real biblical references in starwars
(Crossed fingers Green Tentacle don't ask me to find any)RC-1136 18:19, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- With respect, that's a somewhat naive attitude, particularly since those who make the assertion that you argue against, stating that "it's the wrong attitude to have", have at least two years of experience on this wiki. I can personally attest to the deleting of variations of "Luke is Swahili for monkey" (what we call "trivia"), and can tell you that such nonsense WILL be added. Besides, if we had such a page, we'd also have to have a page of Buddhist, Muslim, Judaism and other isms that Star Wars is alleged to have references to.--Goodwood (Alliance Intelligence) 18:28, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- I just don't see the point, purpose, or necessity of such an article. Not saying it is a bad idea or anything of that sort, just don't understand the "why", especially when we all could be working on improving articles—you know, those things that make up the real reason we are here?—Tommy(There are no Jedi here) 18:25, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- I think, based on the comments of the majority of the users who've posted here, as well as the fact that no-one's actually provided any examples of what might go in such an article, that having a List of Bibilical references to Star Wars article is not really something we want or need on the wiki. So perhaps people could use this page as a means to post/discuss examples, if there's really a tidal wave of them a page could eventually be made. That's just my opinion, at any rate. -- AdmirableAckbar (Talk) 18:37, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- Goodwood: Should we say theres no point in making any page on any wiki? beacause it will in the end be vandilised?, as i said before, this "luke is a monkey" nonsense can be removed, If your worried about having to make lots of diffrent pages why not merge it into "list of references to religon in Star Wars"?.
Tommy: We've got loads of articles like this already, thats a good excuse to make another one, besides, I'm not saying you have to waste your time contrbiuting to it
Ackbar: There are already some at the very top of the page, first comment, but i agree that maybe some more are needed, however this forum don't seem like a good place to collect them, hmmm... how about making a page for it? ;) RC-1136 18:57, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
- This probably would just be better suited to a subpage. -- Ozzel 20:48, 2 June 2008 (UTC)