In the words of John Q., Wikia staffer:
- "[…] as a result of the survey we did a while back, we've been working on a new skin targeted at visitors ... those people who come to read but don't really get engaged in the site (about 90% of people who pass through). The skin is designed to present more options for finding other articles in your wiki (most popular articles, etc.) in addition to making it clearer that you can edit and how. As we roll this out, existing users won't see any change ... they'll still see the monobook skin unless they go into their preferences and choose this new one. However for visitors, we'll be presenting this to try to capture more of them into your wiki. We did a bunch of research on eye tracking to help design this, etc.
Again, for existing users, there should be no change ... we're just trying to find the best way to motivate more visitors.
We've taken some pains to be sensitive to your existing design... we can do a dark one also, if that's the direction you want to go ... what do you think?"
- ―John Q.
Short bullet list to summarize:
- This is a new skin specifically designed for Wookieepedia.
- It's designed to motivate visitors to contribute to articles.
- Regular users won't see the new skin unless they choose so in their preferences.
Now, what we want is feedback. Voice your approval or disgust, or suggest changes. Would we like a different design? A different color scheme? Please take the time to tell us what you think. --Imperialles 01:24, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- Support something that's going to happen anyway. Thefourdotelipsis 01:55, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- The "discuss this article" header is a huge no-no. A talk page link might be useful, but we already have enough people who think that the talk pages are for general discussion about the subject. It needs, at minimum, a rewording. Other than that I don't see anything that would cause me to oppose. Havac 03:30, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- Maybe it's a placehoder, but what is the point of "Top Five: Most emailed"? Just adding the things to the right of the Wookieepedia logo is enough, in my opinion. -Fnlayson 03:41, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- That looks pretty good. I've always wanted a darker design, but that's just me. —Xwing328(Talk) 04:27, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- Support. I think it looks better than the one we have now. Jasca Ducato 09:16, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- Not really sure about this one. It looks a bit ugly and messy to me, but as Thefourdotelipsis said, it's probably going to happen anyway. Unit 8311 09:19, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- Looks like poodoo. The present one's nicer. KEJ 15:13, 30 April 2007 (UTC)
- Why are we even commenting? Roll it out as soon as possible! - Sikon 10:34, 1 May 2007 (UTC)
- I think it's a good idea for people who don't know much about wiki/wookiepedia in general. TitanSithspit! Talk to me! 12:06, 1 May 2007 (UTC)
- It does look "friendlier," but I'm not going to switch. As a suggestion to the "Discuss this article" wording, the best I can come up with is "Discuss improving this article." - Esjs(Talk) 13:37, 1 May 2007 (UTC)
- I think "discuss this article" is okay. It's still better than "discussion" because it emphasises that it's the article, not its subject, that's being discussed. - Sikon 13:56, 1 May 2007 (UTC)