Made a skin today in two hours, as a proof of concept. I didn't have much time to test it, but it appears to render consistently in Firefox 2.0, Opera 9.00 and Konqueror 3.5.2. The only inconsistency is that small fonts in Firefox are larger than in Opera in Konqueror, but it seems to occur with Monobook as well. A hack for :hover (and possibly other hacks) will be necessary for IE, I'll fix that after moving skin-independent functions from Monobook.js to Common.js.
Like Monobook Lite, it intends to reserve as much space for content as possible, but the navigation boxes are always visible (except for Wikia) instead of being dropdown menus. Also, without the Monobook legacy, it's easier to test and tweak.
It's very beta-ish now, but it nicely demonstrates the layout changes I intended to implement.
- For those who can't be bothered, here's how it currently looks on my machine. - Sikon 15:59, 1 November 2006 (UTC)
- Neat! .... 01:24, 2 November 2006 (UTC)
- Hmm, looks pretty nice. I'll have to try and tweak it for IE. --Xwing328(Talk) 20:06, 3 November 2006 (UTC)
- I added some hacks to make it look at least somewhat plausible in IE6 (although still not exactly as in standards-compliant browsers). I'm afraid, however, that it will be screwed in IE7 (haven't tested it there yet)... - Sikon 11:08, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
- Very nice I must say, it's something to get used to at first, especially searching for the buttons, but the layout for articles and talk pages is a welcome change. Cull Tremayne 13:32, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
- Here's a screenshot of it in IE7. IE7 screenshot --Xwing328(Talk) 16:24, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
- Well, it's good to go then, except for the incompatibility with large fonts... - Sikon 16:52, 4 November 2006 (UTC)