Is there a plan in the future to release Wookieepedia in downloadable CD-ROM format, available for leisure offline reading and browsing? If not, how about database dumps? —Unsigned comment by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs).
- Database dumps are already available. As for CDs, please no. Wookieepedia is constantly changing, and releasing all articles at an arbitrary point of their evolution would do no good. However, I guess we could institute some sort of a "stable versions" mechanism. - Sikon [Talk] 04:04, 9 May 2006 (UTC)
- Could you please direct me to the database dumps link? I have searched for it and can't seem to find it. —Unsigned comment by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs).
- Please sign your comments. Try asking on the Central Wikia or their IRC channel (irc.freenode.net #wikia) where to obtain database dumps. - Sikon [Talk] 08:40, 9 May 2006 (UTC)
- There would be 150,000% no way be a disc. Impossible. So huge. Database bumps? OK, that sounds good ... whatever that is ... LOL
- So, that dump would have all the settings, preferences, and contents of the whole site? Darth Kevinmhk 15:46, 9 May 2006 (UTC)
I think if they are going to have it on cd then they should give it out for free and constanly update whenever they can. But I think it is stupid because the articles, characters and so on in articles of Wookiepedia are under constant change so whats the point because it will be out of date by the time you recieve it thats just my opinion. The Force is Strong in this One. —Unsigned comment by DarthVader7.0 (talk • contribs).
- For the last time: SIGN YOUR COMMENTS! - Sikon [Talk] 00:21, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
- First of all, sorry for not signing my comments. I just registered a few days ago and totally new to Wookieepedia. I have not even known how to sign comments yet. Guess I have to do it manually. Anyway, the list on Wikia database dumps does not show that Wookieepedia has one (http://www.wikia.com/dbdumps/dbdumps.html). As for the CD-ROM, I was thinking more on the line of stable version, as mentioned by Sikon. If I recall correctly, Wikipedia does offer such thing, ranging from database dumps (in MySQL and XML) to static HTML, to selected CD for orphaned (SOS Children Wikipedia CD 2006 Selection http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/charity-news/education-cd.htm), etc. I also remember reading somewhere that the size is zipped 1.9GB file (which when extracted will be 27GB), so maybe it is more of a DVD-ROM format. So, I thought Wookieepedia may have a similar arrangement. Anyway, never mind. I was just asking. Sorry if I offended anybody, I do apologize. Well, until I figure out how to sign my comment, here it is: signed by rabadi (126.96.36.199).
- Okay, maybe here it is: --Rabadi 01:22, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
- You see, DVD discs can't hold things anywhere near that size... HEY, does that include userpages? If we took those out... Well, anyway, DVD-R discs can hold just below 5GB. DVDs are about the same I think.
- I was talking about the size of Static HTML dump for Wikipedia (http://static.wikipedia.org/). So, the size of the compressed file is 1.9GB, which can be hold by DVD-ROM, if I'm not mistaken. When that file is extracted, the size of extracted files (in Harddisk) will be 27GB. So maybe... just maybe... Wookieepedia can come out with similar arrangement? --Rabadi 04:45, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
- There's abso-lutely NO WAY Wookieepedia can be THAT small.
- Well, now that I think about it... I guess it could be.
Where do you go for a database dump? i would love to do that! But can i like select that i dont want user files adn everything? DarthVaderwillriseagain 16:08, 11 May 2006 (UTC)DarthVaderwillriseagain
- I don't think you can choose. It's just one big file, and I'm not sure if it has images either. -LtNOWIS 20:15, 12 May 2006 (UTC)
Well i guess it dosent matter, but where can i do it? DarthVaderwillriseagain 15:16, 13 May 2006 (UTC)DarthVaderwillriseagain