- "Qui-Gon's body burned slowly, as if the spirit had lingered on and was putting up a last fight ... Obi-Wan stared at the silhouette until it was consumed—until the contours of the heroic face burned into his heart and mind, the places where Qui-Gon's soul would always live. And always advise..."
- ―Obi-Wan stands in the night, gazing at the funeral pyre of his Master Qui-Gon Jinn, remembering, amidst the roll of drums and the release of doves into the rising ashes that disappeared on the wind.
Once he defeated the Sith, Obi-Wan Kenobi took his master's body to Theed and a traditional funeral was held. Many Jedi were in attendance including Yoda, Mace Windu and several members of the Jedi High Council. Non-Jedi attendees included Queen Amidala, Boss Rugor Nass, newly-elected Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Anakin Skywalker, and Jar Jar Binks, as well as several others. The events of the funeral nearly caused the queen to cancel the victory celebrations planned for the following day out of respect for the late Jedi Master, but she reconsidered after Kenobi informed her that Jinn would have wanted her to continue the celebration.
The death of Qui-Gon left Anakin feeling depressed. The separation from his mother as well as his learning that Padmé was in fact the Queen of Naboo left him feeling unsure of his future direction. Obi-Wan promised Anakin that he would become a Jedi. Likewise, during the funeral, Windu and Yoda acknowledged that the Sith had indeed returned, but they were unsure as to whether the Sith who had killed Qui-Gon had been the master or the apprentice. Unknown to the two Jedi Masters at the time, however, the Sith Master, Darth Sidious, was present at the funeral under the public persona of Palpatine.
- Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace novel (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Anakin Skywalker
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Queen Amidala
- Episode I Adventures 15: The Final Battle