The common fusioncutter consisted of a handgrip and a long emitter, producing a high-energy plasma beam. This beam could slice through dense metals, duraplast, and other reinforced materials. The cutting beam was often adjustable, allowing the user to decrease the beam for fine, precise work, or to generate a wide-dispersion laser.
A fusioncutter's beam could be dangerous if not used correctly, though its limited range ensured the tool could not be effectively used as a weapon. However, fusioncutters were often carried into battle, notably by engineers during the Galactic Civil War and the preceding Clone Wars. These specialized engineers used fusioncutters to repair vehicles, turrets, medical droids and supply droids on the battlefront.
R2-D2 had a fusioncutter and used it on several occasions.
The Wookiee Chewbacca was a skilled mechanic who not only commonly used a fusioncutter, but once was able to fashion one inside a Trandoshan holding cell, cutting the way out for himself and his fellow Wookiees to freedom.
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Platt's Smugglers Guide
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen, Revised
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Millennium Falcon Owners' Workshop Manual