- "You get a G-2RD droid going, and you'll have to take its head off to stop it."
- ―Han Solo
The G-2RD Series Guard Droid was a small, fourth-degree defense droid built by Arakyd Industries. The spherical, flat, black security droid had three evenly-spaced arms, sensor antennae studding its bottom, and multiple photoreceptors surrounding its surface. The G-2RD could manipulate locks and speak, read, and write Basic.
G-2RD droids were designed by Arakyd to be tenacious and uncompromising, providing security while preventing rioting. While Arakyd thought this was a plus, many other droids and individuals found them to be annoying and hard to work with. Initially, Arakyd sold the G-2RD series to prison facilities throughout the galaxy. Sometime after Palpatine declared himself Emperor in 19 BBY, the Galactic Empire purchased large numbers of the security droids.
While the G-2RD guard droids were specifically designed to be immune to restraining bolts, Han Solo and Chewbacca, were able to jury-rig a bolt to disable one. In turn, the droid's memory was erased. In addition, the droid was equipped with a stun baton, an ion blaster, and a stun grenade launcher. The droid's weaponry was designed to stop rioters and/or escapees without killing them, and its thick armor prevented simple deactivation. It had a loud alarm system, which could call help from distant areas.
- Contract AA23
- Star Wars Galaxies
- "Plant Food"—The Kathol Outback
- Heir to the Empire (First appearance)
- Dark Force Rising (First identified as G-2RD series guard droid)
- The Last Command
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids (Mentioned only)
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 55 (GUA1-4, G-2RD Guard Droid)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia