- "Gonk. Gonk."
- ―A GNK droid
GNK power droids were effectively power generators with legs and a very simple artificial intelligence so they could understand rudimentary commands. They were commonly found on under-developed worlds that did not have an expansive power grid, or in mobile military operations.
Sometime after the Battle of Endor, rumors began to spread regarding a "Cult of the Power Droids." Apparently, a pair of GNK Power Droids would come to one's door and request funding for a religious fringe group. Advice from renowned linguist Ebenn Q3 Baobab was that one should merely utter the phrase "Gonk. Gonk. Gonk ko kyenga see," a highly controversial statement that was not allowed to be legally translated (see Baobab Security Directive 51-C).
Behind the scenes
The GNK power droid derives its name from the "gonk" sound it makes in Episode IV. The droid was originally called simply a "power droid", but a newsgroup posting in 1993 (see , ) led to the now-canon name becoming universally popular almost overnight.
In the Battlefront series GONK droids are called Ammunition Droids and give troops ammo when they stand near it.
In the LEGO Star Wars games, Gonk droids are slow-moving and weak, unable to attack, interact with their surroundings, or jump. However, they can be interacted with, such as being force pushed, shot, or cut with a lightsaber. Gonk droids are put mainly for the players amusement, as they are universally ignored by enemies, who elect not to attack. A "Super Gonk" upgrade can be purchased with in-game currency, permitting the player's Gonk droid to run and jump, though not to attack. Several Gonk droids can be found wandering around the Mos Eisley Cantina.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars: The Quest for R2-D2
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- "Skreej"—Star Wars Tales 10
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed video game — Ultimate Sith Edition
- Star Wars Trivial Pursuit
- Star Wars: The Power of the Force
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Episode I: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Galactic Phrase Book and Travel Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 12 (POW1-2, Power Droids)
- Star Wars Miniatures: Universe
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- "Top 10 Most Unlikely Unleashed Figures"—Star Wars Insider 100
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Gonkipedia, the Cult of the Power Droids Wiki
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found