The Galactic Marines, originally known as the 21st Nova Corps of the 4th Sector Army, was an elite unit that was created as the Grand Army of the Republic diversified during the Clone Wars. Following the formation of the Galactic Empire in 19 BBY, they became known as Imperial Galactic Marines.
Galactic Marines wore special body armor with maroon or white coloration — and a backplate. They were usually armed with DC-15A blaster rifles, but were also seen equipped with WESTAR-M5 blaster rifles. The Marines were distinguished by their unique visor gear: synthmesh designed to keep out various hazards such as snow, sand, airborne fungus, and ash.
The Marines were cross-trained to fight on a variety of environments in ground and space, making them extremely versatile. They specialized in boarding and capturing enemy starships as well as planetary assault, and were deployed at many planets such as Rhen Var, Aargonar, Boz Pity, Mygeeto and Toola. Bacara demanded the absolute best of his men, and would tolerate nothing less, unilaterally reassigning marines who did not meet his high standards, much to the dismay of General Ki-Adi-Mundi. The two maintained a respectful but contentious relationship, right up until the end of the war.
The Marines training consists of three phases. Phase 1: conditioning, Phase 2: underwater and in-space ship boarding, and Phase 3: marksmanship. These training courses made the Marines one of the most elite fighting forces in the Grand Army of the Republic.
At the Battle of New Bornalex, the Galactic Marines made use of prototype spacetrooper powersuits. Although the weapon systems on their new suits failed, the Marines continued to fight on. They engaged B2 super battle droids in hand-to-hand combat, using the enhanced strength granted to them by their powersuits. Their actions at New Bornalex earned the Marines a fierce reputation, making them one of the Republic's most feared clone military units.
Commander Bacara (CC-1138) and a squad of Galactic Marines fought alongside Ki-Adi-Mundi during the Battle of Mygeeto. After receiving Order 66 from Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Bacara and his squad turned on the Jedi and fired upon him. Although he was able to defend himself briefly, Ki-Adi-Mundi was overwhelmed by numerous blaster shots and killed.
While deployed on Toola, the marines battled Separatist Forces. When Order 66 was issued, they assisted Commander Keller in tracking down fugitive Jedi heading for Ithaqua Station. The Jedi rode on STAPs to flee their pursuit, while Keller and his men used local beasts of burden as mounts to navigate the frozen plains to fulfill their mission.
Following the formation of the Galactic Empire, Galactic Marines became known as Imperial Galactic Marines. During the Empire Day festivities following the Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY, they served as sentries in the city of Theed and participated in the ceremonial parades. Staff Sergeant Rothax was an Imperial Galactic Marine who operated out of the Imperial Outpost on Talus. Imperial soldiers who fought valiantly in battle earned the right to receive Galactic Marine armor from Rothax. This armor would at times be painted in completely different colors, including blue, gray, and brighter shades of red. BO-661 was another Imperial Galactic Marine who guarded an Imperial Detainment Facility on Yavin 4, but he was killed by a Rebel agent during that year's Empire Day festivities.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Star Wars: Battlefront II, clone troopers in Galactic Marine armor are known as "clone commanders," However, the Battlefront II clone pack by Hasbro identifies them as "Galactic Marines," so this might be a retcon. They also use chainguns in the game, however are normally seen in the films using DC-15A blaster rifles and DC-15S blasters. The armor also shares a resemblance to the later Galactic Empire's snowtrooper armor.
In the Star Wars Miniatures game, miniatures representing the military group are called Elite Clone Troopers. The second edition of the figure is called a Galactic Marine.
- Republic Commando: Triple Zero (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (As clone commanders)
- Star Wars: Republic: Into the Unknown
- Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (As clone commanders)
- Star Wars: Republic: Siege of Saleucami (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Imperial Commando: 501st (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Miniatures: The Clone Wars ad (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Ground Assault (Card: Galactic Marines)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Ground Assault (Card: 21st Nova Corps AT-OT)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Ground Assault (Card: 21st Nova Corps UT-AT)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Ground Assault (Card: 21st Nova Corps AT-RT)
- Star Wars Miniatures: Universe
- Star Wars Miniatures: The Clone Wars
- Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic
- "Order 66: Destroy All Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 87
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront II: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Shop" (Set: Elite Clone Trooper)
- Star Wars: Sith Wars