- "We must keep our faith in the Republic. The day we stop believing democracy can work is the day we lose it."
- ―Queen Jamillia
The Galactic Republic, commonly referred to simply as the Republic, and later also known as the Old Republic, was the democratic union that governed the galaxy for a thousand years prior to the rise of the Galactic Empire. The Republic was aided by the efforts of the Jedi Order, who stood as the guardians of peace and justice, enabling the Republic to be free of full-scale conflict for over a thousand years. However, thirty-two years before the Battle of Yavin, the Galactic Republic suffered its first major crisis in millennia during the Invasion of Naboo, which ultimately led to the Clone Wars ten years later.
During this galaxy-wide conflict, the Republic underwent a massive military buildup through the support of Senators in the Galactic Senate, who were led by the democratically elected Supreme Chancellor, Palpatine. Unbeknownst to all but a select few, Palpatine was in reality the Dark Lord of the Sith, and had engineered the crisis to supplant himself as Galactic Emperor, effectively doing so nineteen years before the Battle of Yavin. After the Jedi had learned of his true nature, Palpatine enacted Order 66, a protocol engineered into the clone troopers of the newly formed Grand Army of the Republic to turn against their Jedi masters, effectively wiping away the Jedi Order in an instant—all while Palpatine announced the creation of the first Galactic Empire.
Rise of democracyEdit
- "There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic."
- ―Sio Bibble
About one thousand years before the onset of the Clone Wars, the dark age of the galaxy came to an end. The Sith, an ancient order of malevolent Force-practitioners, were defeated after their birth in the Hundred-Year Darkness and driven into hiding, but the then galactic government, known as the "Old Republic" also fell. Following the collapse of that government and a full-scale war, a number of solar systems united, founding a successor state: the Galactic Republic. As its governing body, the newly reorganized government established the Galactic Senate, the members of which were elected to represent their systems. The Republic's capital was installed on the planet of Coruscant, which had already existed for several thousands of years.
The Republic's head of state, the Supreme Chancellor, was elected by and from the senators, in which the first in a long line of Chancellors was a scion of the House Valorum. Protecting the new Democracy was the elite Senate Guard, who could be seen patrolling the Senate District and came to be seen as symbols of strength and unity, especially considering the fact that there was no standing army for the first few centuries of the Republic. In time, the Jedi Order, an organization of protectors who could tap into the power of the Force, came to serve the Republic as guardians of peace and justice. With the lack of a standing army, the Republic came to rely on its peacekeeping Judicial Forces, led by the Judicial Department as the de-facto law enforcement branch of the government. The Judicial Forces, members of which who were simply known as Judicials, trained at the Judicial Academy and came to serve in both ground and space forces, often led by Jedi Commanders to maintain peace throughout the galaxy.
Expansion and stagnationEdit
- "It's been my experience that senators are only focused on pleasing those who fund their campaigns— and they are more than willing to forget the niceties of democracy to get those funds."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
For centuries, the Republic expanded not through force, but by quietly exerting a strong magnetic pull towards neighboring systems. The promise of trade with Core World markets held many systems in sway, inexorably luring nonmember worlds into tighter cooperation with the state body. Despite this, the Republic remained slow to invite new systems into its fold, as the addition of new territories diminished the political power of existing senators. New member states invariably aligned themselves with local galactic power blocs, while most senators who gave the invitations represented systems in the Core. As a result, the Galactic Center represented the beating heart of the Republic that habitually drew wealth and power from the hinterlands, with most senators dismaying at the extension of services and protection to outlying worlds. Consequently, many useful star systems were left waiting—some for centuries—for the body politic to admit their world as a member of the Congress, even though it came at the cost of the body's overall power.
As time went by the Republic stood firm, becoming increasingly powerful. As a result, the galaxy remained free of any full-scale war for centuries. However, many of the bureaucrats and Senators that ran the government continued to work for their own profit rather than the common good. Greed, corruption and internal strife slowly began destroying the government from within. Many outlying worlds, lacking protection from a federal military and harassed by numerous pirates, came to resent the privileged position of those in the Core Worlds, believing themselves the victims of social and economic injustices. As a result of the perceived inability of the Judicial Forces in protecting outlying territories, who were often withheld in intervening after many far-flung worlds refused to provide the Core Worlds with profitable deals, the Outer Rim world of Eriadu and the Greater Seswenna formed the Outland Regions Security Force for the protection of the Seswenna sector in the years before the Clone Wars. Being comprised of an amalgam of ships, it was funded primarily by off-world loans and supplied with laser and ion cannons acquired from arms merchants who had for centuries been ignoring a Republic ban on the sale of weaponry to member worlds. While the OSRF was at first lacking success, it soon came to be renowned for its efficiency at dealing with raiders, especially after Wilhuff Tarkin was accepted into Outland's anti-piracy task force, in which he was known for outsmarting and outmaneuvering his opponents.
Yet despite Outland's best efforts, the Outer Rim Territories continued to fall victim to increasing corporate interests from the Core, with the monolithic Trade Federation expanding its reach a year before the Invasion of Naboo in both the Outer Rim and the Galactic Senate by utilizing loopholes in existing free-trade legislation. Shortly before the Invasion of Naboo, a trade summit was held on the Outer Rim planet of Eriadu in which then Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum was turned away by Wilhuff Tarkin, who was hoping to reduce the influence of the Chancellor who was already rumored to lose the next election in order to support then Senator Palpatine, who had earlier helped Tarkin gain entrance into the Judicial Academy and supported his ascension as leader of his homeworld.
Invasion of NabooEdit
Despite the best efforts of the well-meaning Finis Valorum, the Trade Federation promptly invaded Naboo over disputes about plasma exports, in which a Judicial force carried Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi to the Saak'ak, a Trade Federation Lucrehulk-class LH-3210 cargo freighter to discuss a peaceful resolution to the conflict. However upon Darth Sidious's knowledge that Jedi had intervened, the Dark Lord of the Sith swiftly ordered their execution, an order which Viceroy Nute Gunray fearfully carried out, only to have the attempt end in failure, resulting in the escape of the Jedi. On the planet below, the Jedi managed to rescue then Queen Padmé Amidala seeking to bring her back to Coruscant, however a damaged T-14 hyperdrive generator resulted in them making an unplanned landing on the desert planet of Tatooine. While stranded in the city of Mos Espa, Qui-Gon Jinn discovered then slave Anakin Skywalker, who he believed was the Chosen One destined to bring balance to the force. Though it was not long before one of Sidious's agents, Darth Maul, attempted to eliminate the Jedi on the desert world, only to have the Jedi escape once more just in the nick of time, with the now freed boy Anakin Skywalker. Upon their arrival at Coruscant, Padmé Amidala was coerced by Senator Palpatine, who was taking advantage of his homeworld's delicate situation to have Valorum removed from office through a vote of no confidence. The vote subsequently passed, increasing the chances that Palpatine would become the next Supreme Chancellor.
Finding no sympathy in the Senate, Padmé Amidala returned to her world of Naboo and forged an alliance with Boss Nass of one of the Gungan underwater cities of Otoh Gunga, located underneath Lake Paonga. With the help of the Gungan Grand Army and freed members of the Royal Naboo Security Forces, along with a starfighter attack on the Saak'ak in orbit, the Trade Federation and its blockade were defeated, with much thanks going to Anakin Skywalker, who helped fire the shot that ultimately destroyed the control ship. However the victory was not without its costs, with Qui-Gon Jinn's death at the hands of Darth Maul, and the Jedi's loss of knowledge of who was actually behind the attack. Nonetheless with Naboo now freed from occupation, a grand parade was held in honor of their recent victory, while Palpatine himself arrived to announce his ascension to the position of Supreme Chancellor, also informing Anakin that he shall watch his progress, "with much interest." 
- "I will not let this republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two. My negotiations will not fail."
"If they do, you must realize that there aren't enough Jedi to protect the Republic. We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and Jedi Master Mace Windu
Following the Naboo Crisis, the Trade Federation monopoly on the Outer Rim was broken, all while Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum's political standing suffered from the crisis along with other scandals. In his wake, Sheev Palpatine was appointed to the position of Supreme Chancellor, eventually creating an image of himself as a mild-mannered servant of the common good, despite his true intentions. However, growing tensions between the Core and Outer Rim worlds gradually increased to the point where many believed that a war was imminent. Foreseeing this conflict years before the Invasion of Naboo, Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas advocated for the creation of a new Republic army, only to be rejected by the Jedi Council who believed his ideas too extreme. Undeterred, Sifo-Dyas contacted the Kaminoans, known for their clone hatcheries, and secretly commissioned them to create a clone army, pretending to be at the behest of the Galactic Senate. Unknowingly to Sifo-Dyas, Darth Sidious had earlier contacted Prime Minister Lama Su, and convinced him to implant a control chip into the clones during the third stage of their development to turn against the Jedi at a mere command.
The dashing swordsman and political idealist Jedi Master Count Dooku, taking an eight year leave of absence from the Jedi Order and now secretly the apprentice of Darth Sidious and dubbed Darth Tyranus, paid the Pyke Syndicate to eliminate Sifo-Dyas over the planet of Oba Diah. With Sifo-Dyas originally heading to the planet in order to negotiate a dispute that could result in a full-scale gang war on Coruscant, Sifo-Dyas was suddenly re-assigned to Felucia when his shuttle was abruptly shot down over the planet. Bringing his body to Felucia where it was cremated by tribal inhabitants, Dooku managed to trick the Jedi Council into believing Sifo-Dyas had been killed by the Felucians, all while erasing the existence of Kamino from the Jedi Archives.
In the ten years after the Invasion of Naboo, the whereabouts of Count Dooku were scarcely known, with many believing he merely wished to form an offshoot of the Jedi Order. In reality, Dooku was busy manipulating galactic events to ferment political turmoil on a variety of worlds including Kashyyyk, Sullust and Onderon. Seeking to create a southern Separatist sphere of influence by bringing Yag'Dhul and Sluis Van to his side, Dooku needed to persuade the now prosperous world of Eriadu to join the Separatists. However Wilhuff Tarkin, was pressured to declare his loyalties especially after Dooku commandeered a HoloNet station in the Raxus system and denounced the Galactic Republic, effectively setting the stage for a Secessionist Movement. Tarkin ultimately sided with the Galactic Republic in his stern belief that a inefficient yet unified galaxy was better than a fractured one. 
With war now imminent, the Galactic Senate hastily passed the Military Creation Act, especially after Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi discovered the secret clone army on Kamino after tracing the origins of a previously unknown dart used in an assassination attempt against Senator Padmé Amidala, who opposed the military buildup. When Kenobi was captured by the Separatist Droid Army on Geonosis, the Senate gave Supreme Chancellor Palpatine emergency powers to raise the newly formed Grand Army of the Republic and Republic Navy to rescue Kenobi along with a team of two hundred Jedi led by Mace Windu. The ensuing battle would see the rescue of Kenobi along with the prodigal Jedi Anakin Skywalker and his secret love interest, Senator Padmé Amidala, who would later be used by Sidious to in an attempt to ensure Anakin's eventual turn to the Dark side of the Force.
The Clone WarsEdit
- "I have to admit that without the clones it would not have been a victory."
"Victory? Victory, you say? Master Obi-Wan, not victory. The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun, the Clone War has.""
- ―Yoda to Obi-Wan Kenobi
Battle of Geonosis Edit
With the first major battle in the Clone Wars being the deadly Battle of Geonosis, the encounter would rage on as the plans for an Ultimate Weapon from Poggle the Lesser were transferred to Dooku, as well as a brief but vicious fight erupting between Dooku and Master Yoda. Simultaneously, the various members of the newly founded Confederacy of Independent Systems would evacuate the planet as Republic clone troopers gradually forced the Separatist Droid Army back. With the battle ending in a victory for the Republic, Count Dooku traveled to an industrial sector on Coruscant to inform his master that the war has begun as planned, all while the Jedi Council pondered Dooku's warning that the Dark Lord of the Sith controlled the Senate. Nevertheless, with the Battle of Geonosis a clear victory for the Republic, the upcoming war to destroy the Separatist Alliance and its allies would drag the galaxy into further conflict over the next three years.
Escalation of warEdit
With the Battle of Geonosis, the deadly three year conflict that would engulf the galaxy into chaos officially began, forcing more and more worlds to choose sides between the Galactic Republic and its clone army or the ever-expanding Confederacy of Independent Systems and its Separatist Droid Army. With the war well underway, numerous diplomatic envoys engaged in several attempts to sway local worlds to join the Galactic Republic, with Jedi Master Yoda seeking to win the support of the Toydarian King Katuunko, while Sith apprentice Asajj Ventress sought to disrupt the meeting, and instead sought to win the support of the king to join the Confederacy. The Republic also sent military aid and support to factions in need, such as Cham Syndulla's Twi'lek Resistance on Ryloth, or to the Dug's of Malastare, whose lucrative fuel reserves would be a great boon to the Republic Navy. Numerous worlds such as Mandalore also attempted to maintain their neutrality, although they often were forced to seek aid from third parties in times of need.
Throughout the Clone Wars, numerous attempts would be made against Supreme Chancellor Palpatine's life, including an assassination attempt on Naboo masterminded by Count Dooku as well as the hostage taking of members of the Galactic Senate by notorious bounty hunter Cad Bane. However political intrigue would not only fuel the conflict, but advances in weaponry and the development of equipment to enhance existing armed forces. Attempts at biological weapons were launched by Separatist scientist Nuvo Vindi who attempted to re-create the ancient Blue Shadow Virus capable of killing millions across the galaxy, while the Republic developed the experimental electro-proton bomb which could send out an electric pulse upon detonation capable of deactivating an entire droid army.
The Republic also attempted to create an impenetrable armor by unlocking the biological secrets of the Zillo Beast, an ancient creature from the Mid Rim, only to have the attempt end in failure, sending the beast on a rampage across Coruscant. After its death at the hands of a Jedi task force, the beast was secretly cloned by orders from the Supreme Chancellor himself. In the meantime, the Republic developed a stealth ship capable of cloaking itself, as well as upgrading its standard Phase I clone trooper armor to the more sophisticated Phase II clone trooper armor prior to the Battle of Mon Cala.
Fall of the RepublicEdit
- "I did it. Because I've come to realize what many people in the Republic have come to realize. That the Jedi are the ones responsible for this War. That we've so lost our way that we have become villains in this conflict. That we are the ones that should be put on trial, all of us! And my attack on the Temple was an attack on what the Jedi have become. An army fighting for the Dark Side, fallen from the Light that we once held so dear. This Republic is failing! It's only a matter of time."
- ―Barriss Offee, confessing to bombing the Jedi Temple
It was not until the Outer Rim Sieges and the deaths of both Count Dooku and General Grievous, respectively on both Coruscant and Utapau by Jedi Knights Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, that the Jedi Order began to suspect that the Chancellor was not who he appeared to be, and ultimately discovered from Anakin that Chancellor Palpatine was Darth Sidious, the Sith mastermind responsible for orchestrating the war.
After four Jedi masters led by Jedi Master Mace Windu confronted the Chancellor in his main office, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, fueled by anger against what he saw as the arrogance of the Jedi struck down Windu, allowing his new Sith master, Darth Sidious to survive and eliminate Windu for his 'treasonous' attack on him. Sidious then declared the Jedi enemies of the Republic and had the Jedi attempt on his life made to look as if a Jedi rebellion had occurred, allowing him to enact Order 66, commanding the clone troopers across the galaxy to turn on their Jedi Commanders, wiping out the vast majority in an instant. He then finally convinced Anakin to become his new Sith apprentice, Darth Vader and had him carry out his first tasks as a Sith Lord to attack the Jedi Temple and subsequently wipe out the Separatist Council on Mustafar.
In a special session of Congress, Darth Sidious declared himself Galactic Emperor, thus cementing the transformation of the Galactic Republic into the newly formed Galactic Empire, and ordered Darth Vader to send a distress signal to deactivate the remnants of the Separatist Droid Army, thus ending the Clone Wars. With the destruction of the Jedi Order and a massive military machine to enforce Sidious's will, the Age of the Empire had begun.
- "This is Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. I regret to report that both our Jedi Order and the Republic have fallen, with the dark shadow of the Empire rising to take their place. This message is a warning and a reminder for any surviving Jedi: trust in the Force. Do not return to the Temple. That time has passed, and our future is uncertain. Avoid Coruscant. Avoid detection. Be secret... but be strong. We will each be challenged: our trust, our faith, our friendships. But we must persevere and, in time, I believe a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you always."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi's warning in the recall signal
However, the memory of the Republic as a force of freedom and justice could never be fully destroyed as long as those who still believed in it lived, thus spurring numerous resistance movements throughout the Empire's reign such as the Free Ryloth movement and Berch Teller's rebel cell. These displays of resistance would eventually coalesce into the Alliance to Restore the Republic shortly before the Battle of Yavin, resulting in the successful destruction of the first Death Star by a survivor of the Jedi Purge, while subsequent battles including the destruction of the second Death Star and death of the Emperor and his apprentice, Darth Vader would lead to the formation of the New Republic as an ode to the Republic of old.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series
- Dark Disciple
- Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Three
- Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Kanan 1: The Last Padawan, Part I: Fight
- Star Wars: Kanan 2: The Last Padawan, Part II: Flight
- Star Wars: Kanan 3: The Last Padawan, Part III: Pivot (Mentioned only)
- Lords of the Sith (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- A New Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Story Before The Force Awakens (Mentioned only)
- Ezra's Gamble (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (Mentioned only)
- The Rebellion Begins (Mentioned only) (As Old Republic)
- Droids in Distress book (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Fighter Flight" (Emblem only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Out of Darkness" (Emblem only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day" (Emblem only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Gathering Forces" (Emblem only)
- Ezra's Duel with Danger (Indirectly referenced only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Idiot's Array" (Emblem only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Vision of Hope" (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice (Mentioned only)
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy (Mentioned only)
- Battle to the End (Mentioned in graphic)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Lost Commanders" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Relics of the Old Republic" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 1: Vader (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 2: Vader, Part II (Mentioned only; in opening crawl; as "Old Republic")
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 4: Vader, Part IV (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 6: Vader, Part VI (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Darth Vader 9: Shadows and Secrets, Part III (Mentioned only)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens junior novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- "The Making of A New Dawn"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 Tarkin
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Aftermath
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ screenshot)—The tweet in question refers to the number of in-universe years between the canon films and television shows. Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, in which the Empire is founded, is set as Year 13. Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, in which the Battle of Yavin is depicted, is set as Year 32. Using simple math, we can deduce that the Empire was founded nineteen years before the Battle of Yavin. . “0 10 10-13 13 27 32 35 36” (
- ↑ Aftermath (p. 56: "...months earlier, after the battle over Endor had concluded." / p. 357: "'...you've been here for the last month, in a coma.'")
- ↑ Star Wars 9: Showdown on the Smugglers' Moon, Part II
- ↑ Senate Guard in the Encyclopedia
- ↑ A New Dawn
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lost One"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hostage Crisis"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Zillo Beast Strikes Back"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Water War"
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 A New Dawn
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis at the Heart"
- ↑ Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ Lords of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Galactic Republic on Wikipedia