Gangsters were usually criminals, who participated as members of criminal organizations. Gangsters were prevalent across the galaxy. Sometimes known as thugs, gangsters often engaged in extortion, intimidation, bribery, and even murder to wield influence or instill fear in individuals or organizations.
Some kept a low profile, engaging in low-level extortion rings or drug trafficking, such the sale of death sticks by the Bando Gora crime organization, or the robbery and hijacking of starships and their freight, by Bogga the Hutt and his Enforcers. Other gangsters engaged in much more widespread and obvious forms of illegal activity, such as the numerous slavery rings run and operated by the various Hutt clans.
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition
- Star Wars Gamemaster Screen
- Wanted by Cracken
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 2"—Star Wars Insider 27 (Mentioned only)
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- The Far Orbit Project
- Pirates & Privateers
- "Underworld: A Galaxy of Scum and Villainy"—Star Wars Insider 89
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Jabba the Hutt (★★★★★))
- Dangerous Covenants