- "Bespin is a gas giant, which means we have no oceans or lakes."
- ―Jude Edivon
Gas giants were large and massive planets composed chiefly of various gases. They had no solid, well-defined surface, which rendered them uninhabitable in themselves, but at least some of them had a large number of moons. Typically, gas giants harbored little life unless their atmosphere comprised a layer capable of supporting oxygen-breathing species. Atmospheres such as these could also harbor turbulent storms within, such as the case with the planet Wynkahthu. Another characteristic of those worlds was the presence of planetary rings made up of several million pieces of debris. In some cases, those debris were rocky in nature and rich in ore.
Due to their significant masses, such planets had gravity wells that created distinct, if minor, hazards for hyperspace travel. Under certain circumstances, a particularly enormous gas giant could become a star in its own right.
Bespin, Endor, Jestefad, Lefrani, Galaan, Hudalla, Pujool, and Yavin were all gas giants. The feature that distinguished Bespin from most of its sister planets was the existence of its oxygen-rich Life Zone, which possessed an unusual abundance of life forms.
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Steal
- Lords of the Sith
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Wynkahthu Job"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novel
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Princess Leia, Part I
- Star Wars 3: Skywalker Strikes, Part III (Indirect mention only)
- Doctor Aphra 1: Book I, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 2: Book I, Part II
- Doctor Aphra 3: Book I, Part III
- Doctor Aphra 4: Book I, Part IV
- Star Wars: Commander (Appears in artwork)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- Star Wars: Uprising
- Before the Awakening
- "Classic Moment: Lando's Second Surprise"—Star Wars Insider 152
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide