"Gatekeeper" was the term used for the artificial personality that granted a user access to the information within a holocron. The gatekeeper was usually based upon the creator of the particular holocron. The gatekeepers of Sith holocrons were sometimes the consciousnesses of the certain Sith who actually created them.
Famous Jedi gatekeepers included Bodo Baas and, much later, Luke Skywalker. They taught the finders of the holocron everything that the creator had discovered in their life. The gatekeeper itself held access to whatever information was hidden inside, and chose whether or not the student using it was worthy of the holocron's knowledge. While the gatekeeper was unlikely to find someone unworthy, it could refuse to teach them more until it decided they had mastered what it had already taught them. The gatekeepers of Sith Holocrons were known not to limit access to the holocron's information, often teaching the user things that were far too dangerous and advanced for them, that would more often than not lead to their destruction.
- Tales of the Jedi
- Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith 1: Masters and Students of the Force (First appearance)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 1: Edge of the Whirlwind (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil
- Legacy 5: Broken, Part 4
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 3"—Star Wars Insider 28
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Jedi Academy Training Manual
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- Tales of the Jedi Companion