Ghoel was a Wol Cabasshite male who, in 4 ABY, lived in the palace of the crime lord Jabba the Hutt on the planet Tatooine. Unable to move from his perch on the walls of the Hutt's audience chamber, he used his long, prehensile tongue to lick newcomers to the palace. Although Ghoel was highly intelligent, every member of Jabba's court was ignorant of that fact. They left him in the chamber when Jabba organized a trip to Tatooine's Great Pit of Carkoon with the intent of executing several Rebel Alliance prisoners.
Ghoel was a highly intelligent Wol Cabasshite male who lived during the Galactic Civil War. Members of his mollusk-like species rarely moved of their own accord, and by 4 ABY, Ghoel had become an immobile resident of the crime lord Jabba the Hutt's palace on the planet Tatooine. He clung to the walls, rafters, and arches of the Hutt's audience chamber and often gave newcomers to the palace exploratory licks with his long, prehensile tongue. Although such direct contact allowed Wol Cabasshites to communicate with members of other species, all of Jabba's henchmen were ignorant of Ghoel's intelligence.
Ghoel was in the audience chamber in 4 ABY when several members of the Rebel Alliance came to the palace to rescue their friend Han Solo, a smuggler who had been frozen in carbonite and hung on the chamber's wall. When the Rebel General Luke Skywalker arrived and killed Jabba's pet rancor, the Hutt sentenced Skywalker, along with a now-unfrozen Solo and the Wookiee Chewbacca, to be thrown into the jaws of a sarlacc that nested in Tatooine's Great Pit of Carkoon. As the protocol droid C-3PO translated the crime lord's Huttese edict into Basic, Ghoel attempted to lick the droid's head. Many members of Jabba's court boarded the Hutt's sail barge for the journey to the Sarlacc pit, but Ghoel was left behind. The sail barge was destroyed and Jabba slain when the Rebels made a last stand at the pit.
Personality and traitsEdit
Like most members of his species, Ghoel possessed an advanced intellect. However, he was unable to move during his time in Jabba's Palace, and none of the Hutt's henchmen was aware of his intelligence. Ghoel had orange eyes, grayish-pink skin, and a long, grasping tongue, the last of which he used to lick new arrivals to the palace.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The 'alien on the ceiling,' Ghoel is a snail-like parasite with an incredibly long tongue. He tries to lick Threepio as the droid begins his execution edict with the line, 'His High Exaltedness, the great Jabba the Hutt…'"
- ―"Who's Who in Jabba's Palace"
The character who would eventually be known as Ghoel was created as a background alien for the Jabba's Palace scene of Richard Marquand's 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. Industrial Light & Magic's creature department constructed the alien puppet, and puppeteer Mike Quinn performed the character on the film's set. Ghoel was originally set to lick C-3PO during close-up shots of the two characters, but Marquand felt that it would be too distracting and accordingly asked Quinn to keep the puppet's tongue stationary. Ghoel's tongue can still be seen moving in several wide shots, which were filmed prior to the close-ups.
Ghoel's species was named in 1983 as part of the Airfix "Jabba The Hutt Throne Room Action Scene" kit, but Ghoel himself went unnamed until 1995, when the Jabba's Palace Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game coined both "Ghoel" and "Wol Cabasshite." Ghoel has since been mentioned in several additional Expanded Universe sources, some of which have incorrectly identified "Wol Cabasshite" as the character's name. The 2002 magazine article "Who's Who in Jabba's Palace," included in the sixtieth issue of Star Wars Insider, established Ghoel's sex as male. An action figure of Ghoel was later released by Hasbro along with figures of the frog-dog Buboicullaar and a member of the B'omarr Order in a 2004 three-pack called "Jabba's Palace Court Denizens."
- Airfix (Jabba The Hutt Throne Room Action Scene) (First identified as Ghoel)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Ghoel)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- "Who's Who in Jabba's Palace"—Star Wars Insider 60
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- Sideshow Collectibles (Salacious B. Crumb Creature Pack)
- "25 Years of Return of the Jedi!"—Star Wars Insider 105
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars Comic 3
- "Take a Tour of Jabba's Palace!"—Star Wars Magazine 2
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Ghoel)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 "Who's Who in Jabba's Palace"—Star Wars Insider 60
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 338 ("Ghoel")
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- ↑ Mike Quinn interview: Nien Nunb: Star Wars. Star Wars Interviews. Retrieved on September 1, 2011.
- ↑ Star Wars - Jabba The Hutt's Throne Room Action Scene. Retrieved on March 25, 2015.