|Gladiator-class Star Destroyer|
Gladiator-class Star Destroyer
The Gladiator-class was a small Star Destroyer that shared its keel design with the Broadside-class cruiser. A ventral protrusion on the hull appeared to cover the ship's main reactor, but was also the location of several cannons. The class had two main thrusters and no visible secondary thrusters.
It possessed an array of capital-grade torpedo or concussion missile launchers and turbolaser emplacements. Torpedo loading bays were located deep inside the ships, with automated loading arms controlled from a console next to the conveyor belt that fed munitions to the launchers.
The total number of guns installed was 25 light turbolasers, 10 point defense laser cannons, 10 medium concussion missile launchers and 6 tractor beam proyectors grouped in 5 turbolaser batteries, 2 laser batteries, 2 missile batteries and 3 tractor beam batteries.
The Star Destroyer class was characterized by its extensive hangar area, with an opening in the bow of the vessel, that split the forward superstructure in two, similar to the Broadside-class. The hangar had enough room for several starfighters to enter or exit at the same time. A complement of 24 fighters was usually carried to intimidate small frontier worlds.
The Gladiator-class was originally envisioned as a Republic escort vessel for the Victory-class Star Destroyer, and the initial design was made by Walex Blissex for Rendili StarDrive. The final design was not finished until after the end of the Clone Wars, and with the Victory-class being abandoned as a main warship by the Galactic Empire, the specs were handed over to Kuat Drive Yards.
Kuat Drive Yards repurposed the class as a long-range patrol vessel, carrying enough troops, fighters and firepower to subjugate local pirate groups and planetary defense forces in the fringe regions of the galaxy. When the Rebellion began to field heavier naval elements, smaller Imperial ships like the Gladiator-class were outmatched.
A ship of this class, the Demolisher, served as the flagship of Imperial Admiral Terrinald Screed during his mission to the Roon system. Prior to the Battle of Tammuz-an, the pirate leader Gir Kybo Ren-Cha and his band stole a Gladiator from an Imperial repair dock. They utilized it to attack the planet of Tammuz-an in order to steal its riches, but were defeated and the ship was disabled.
Behind the scenesEdit
Despite being one of the earliest Star Destroyer classes seen in official media, the Gladiator-class wasn't named until 2008, when its profile appeared in The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide. Until this time, fans had simply named the class after its only known vessel, the Demolisher.
- Star Wars: Droids—"The Pirates of Tarnoonga" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Droids—"Tail of the Roon Comets"
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
- Mission to Lianna (Picture only)
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide (First identified as Gladiator-class Star Destroyer)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide (Indirect mention only)
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 Star Wars: Droids—"The Pirates of Tarnoonga"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Mission to Lianna
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Droids—"Tail of the Roon Comets"
- ↑ Star Wars: Empire at War
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II