- "If you're hurt in the desert and the ripper-raptors don't get you, the gnaw-jaws will."
- ―Rey warns readers about gnaw-jaws in her survival guide
Gnaw-jaws, also known as gnaw jaws, were a species of non-sentient, six-legged, carnivorous insects that lived on the desert planet Jakku. They were about a third of a meter in length and covered with chitinous plates, living underground in warren systems and only coming out at night. Gnaw-jaws would howl and hunt in swarms, preying on warm-blooded creatures, but generally avoided people, only taking advantage of them if they were weak or asleep. The scavenger Rey wrote about them in her survival guide and advised anyone making camp in the desert at night to surround themselves with a circle of barium as it kept gnaw-jaws away.
Behind the scenesEdit
Gnaw-jaws were simultaneously first mentioned in the junior novel Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka and the replica journal Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide by Jason Fry, both of which were published on December 18, 2015. which were both released in conjunction with the film.
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Mentioned only)
- "Better the Devil You Know, Part II"—Star Wars Adventures 2 (Mentioned only)
- Before the Awakening (First mentioned, simultaneous with Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide)
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide (First mentioned, simultaneous with Before the Awakening)