Gold Squadron, also referred to as Gold Group, was a starfighter squadron in the Massassi Group rebel cell, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and eventually the New Republic. The squadron, headquartered on Yavin 4, was commanded by Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander and flew BTL-A4 Y-wing light bombers. The group fought in some of the earliest consequential battles of the Galactic Civil War.
In 2 BBY, during the early days of the rebellion against the Empire, Gold Squadron participated in Operation Handoff to ensure the safety of Senator Mon Mothma of Chandrila, who spoke out against and defected from the Empire. The operation resulted in the formation of the Rebel Alliance. Later, in 0 BBY, Gold Squadron flew in the Battle of Scarif that marked the start of the war and allowed the Alliance to capture the plans to the Death Star superweapon. Not long after, as a result of the events of Scarif, Gold Squadron fought in and was completely decimated during the Battle of Yavin, which resulted in the destruction of the Death Star.
Later in the war, a reformed Gold Squadron fought in the climactic Battle of Endor under the command of General Lando Calrissian, where they were part of the destruction of the Death Star II. Following the Alliance's victory and the reformation of the Republic, Gold Squadron became part of the New Republic Defense Fleet.
Gold Squadron began as a rebel cell fighting against the Galactic Empire, part of the unit led by General Jan Dodonna, which itself was part of Senator Bail Organa's larger rebellion. It was commanded by an Onderonian, Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander, flying as Gold Leader. Members of this unit flew BTL Y-wing starfighters, five of which were former Republic Navy bombers, stolen from the Imperial Reklam Station by the Phoenix Cell and delivered to Dodonna's unit in 2 BBY.
- "Phoenix Leader, this is Gold Squadron. We catch you at a bad time?"
- ―Captain Jon Vander to Captain Hera Syndulla
Shortly after the delivery of the Y-wing starfighters, Senator Mon Mothma was forced to flee her homeworld of Chandrila as a branded traitor after publicly denouncing the Empire. Gold Squadron took on the duty of protecting the Senator and escorting her to Dantooine, where they would rendezvous with other rebel cells. Meeting up with elements of Phoenix Group for refueling of the Senator's Taylander shuttle Chandrila Mistress, the squadron was attacked by TIE fighters and forced to jump to hyperspace. At the advice of Phoenix Leader Hera Syndulla, the rebels took the old smuggler's route through the Archeon Nebula to escape the Lothal sector undetected. However, an experimental TIE/D Defender starfighter decimated the squadron, until it was stopped by Vander and Ezra Bridger (flying as Gold Two). The remaining squadron members, Vander and the original Gold Two, then arrived safely with the Senator at Dantooine, where the Alliance to Restore the Republic would be formed.
- Gold Leader: Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander
- Gold Two: Unidentified Y-wing pilot (briefly filled by Ezra Bridger)
- Gold Three: Tyson (KIA)
- Gold Four: Unidentified Y-wing pilot (KIA)
- Gold Five: Unidentified Y-wing pilot (KIA)
Alliance to Restore the RepublicEdit
Battle of ScarifEdit
- "Red and Gold Squadrons, attack formation. Defend the fleet."
- ―Admrial Raddus giving Red and Gold Squadrons their orders
Following the official formation of the Rebellion as a unified entity, Gold Squadron participated in the Battle of Scarif, again behind Jon Vander as Gold Leader, shortly before the Battle of Yavin. During the battle, elements of Gold Squadron conducted bombing runs on the Shield Gate that was preventing reinforcements from reaching beleaguered forces on the planet below. Gold Squadron also attacked the Imperial Star Destroyer Intimidator, disabling it with ion torpedoes. The destroyer was forced into the space station, disabling the planetary shield and allowing reinforcements to land.
- Gold Leader: Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander
- Gold Two: Unidentified Y-Wing Pilot
- Gold Three: Evaan Verlaine
- Gold Four: Unidentified Y-Wing Pilot
- Gold Five: Unidentified Y-Wing Pilot
- Gold Six: Brace Marko
- Gold Seven: Gazdo Woolcob
- Gold Eight: Datchi Creel
- Gold Nine: Wona Goban
Battle of YavinEdit
- "Gold Squadron, begin takeoff procedure."
- ―A rebel technician
Under the command of Jon "Dutch" Vander, Gold Squadron's eight spaceworthy Y-wing bombers participated in the Battle of Yavin. Three Gold Squadron Y-wings, flown by Vander, Dex Tiree, and Davish Krail, were the first to make an attack run down the Death Star's meridian trench in an attempt to destroy the station's main reactor by exploiting the weakness presented by the thermal exhaust port. All three were shot down by Darth Vader in his TIE Advanced x1 before Jon Vander had the opportunity to launch proton torpedoes. While this skirmish was ongoing, all other Imperial fighters were ordered to engage the rebel ships at the magnetic perimeter. This allowed Senior Lieutenant Iden Versio the opportunity to shoot down two Y-wings, and was even in the process of locking onto a third when the Death Star abruptly exploded. Evaan Verlaine was the only Y-wing pilot of Gold Squadron to survive the assault, and returned to the Rebellion's headquarters on Yavin IV with the other survivors. Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, Wedge Antilles, Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Verlaine were the only rebel survivors of the starfighter assault.
- Gold Leader: Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander (KIA)
- Gold Two: Dex Tiree (KIA)
- Gold Three: Evaan Verlaine
- Gold Four: Unidentified Y-Wing pilot (KIA)
- Gold Five: Davish "Pops" Krail (KIA)
- Gold Seven: Gazdo Woolcob (KIA)
Battle of EndorEdit
- "Red Group. Gold Group. All fighters, follow me."
- ―General Lando Calrissian, to Red and Gold Squadrons
Gold Squadron participated in the Battle of Endor under the command of General Lando Calrissian. Composed of a mix of different starfighters and the Millennium Falcon, members of Gold Squadron participated in the attack on the Death Star's main reactor.
- Gold Leader: Lando Calrissian with Nien Nunb, Blount, and Airen Cracken (Millennium Falcon)
- Gold Nine: Norra Wexley
Several months after the events of Endor, Gold Squadron became part of the New Republic military and took part in the war against the remnants of the Empire. The Gold Squadron pilot Norra returned to her homeworld of Akiva to reunite with her estranged teenage son Temmin Wexley. Mother and son became involved in the rebellion on Akiva, which coincided with a secret Imperial summit on Akiva. Later, Captain Saff Melor recommended sending Gold Squadron and two light cruisers as a show of military force on Akiva. However, he was overruled by Chancellor Mon Mothma and Admiral Gial Ackbar. Norra later won an award for her role in the uprising on Akiva and for trying to pursue Admiral Rae Sloane.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Rogue One Adaptation 6
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars: Heroes Path
- "Sparks"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Desert Son"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Grounded"—From a Certain Point of View
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Shattered Empire, Part I
- Aftermath (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Aftermath
- ↑ 8.0 8.1
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part I
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ In Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow it's said that the Y-wings liberated by Phoenix Cell are for Jan Dodonna's unit. As such, Gold Squadron, who utilizes these Y-wings, must be part of Jan Dodonna's unit.
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ The events of this article take place in or after Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow, which is the first known episode to take place in the second year before the Battle of Yavin. As such, we can deduce that this event takes place in the second year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see 's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.
- ↑ Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- ↑ Princess Leia, Part I
- ↑ "Grounded"—From a Certain Point of View