Biology and appearanceEdit
The Gorax were humanoids of gigantic proportions. One particular specimen was more than five times taller than Luke Skywalker, a human who measured 1.72 meters. A Gorax's ocher skin was covered in thick, matted dark fur, except on the face, hands and feet. Its head featured two forward-facing eyes with bushy brows, a mouth full of sharp fangs, and slit nostrils. Its limbs terminated in four fingers, including an opposable thumb. All of these digits ended in sharp nails. In his hand-drawn map of Endor, however, the Ithorian artist Gammit Chond depicted a Gorax with three-fingered hands, and feet with two large toes. Their large ponted ears offered them a highly sensitive hearing.
Behavior and intelligenceEdit
Gorax lived in mountainous areas and rarely showed themselves. Although they mostly behaved like savage animals, they displayed a capacity to use objects as crude tools—for example, using an uprooted tree as a blunt weapon. Moreover, some wore crude pieces of clothing, like a sash made of furs and skulls, or a belted loincloth.
The Gorax dwelled on Endor, a forested moon of the Outer Rim Territories that orbited a planet of the same name. Occasionally, they emerged from their habitat to attack the villages of sentient Ewoks who also lived on Endor. The Ewoks of Bright Tree Village posted watchers in the forest canopy above their homes to look out for such marauding Gorax.
When Chief Buzza still led Bright Tree Village, a male Gorax lived near Mount Krana. Makrit, the village's shaman at the time, had come to worship the giant, whom he called "Great Devourer." Makrit intended to sacrifice kidnapped woklings in the Gorax's honor, but ended up being eaten instead.
In 4 ABY, the Gorax traps the Bright Tree Ewoks set up as a defense were re-purposed for taking out the All Terrain Scout Transport units deployed by the Galactic Empire during the Battle of Endor. Shortly after the battle, Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa helped the Ewoks Kneesaa and Wicket stop a rampaging Gorax by resetting those traps.
Behind the scenesEdit
Gorax were originally created for the Star Wars Legends television film Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure, which was released in 1984 and included a member of the species as a major villain. The species was confirmed to be canon in the reference book Ultimate Star Wars, which was released in 2015.
In "Survivors on Endor," a walker assault map included in a DLC of the video game Star Wars Battlefront, the players enter a cavern containing giant spiders and what appears to be the lair of an immense creature, complete with an empty cage hanging from the ceiling. This evokes the Gorax lair in Caravan of Courage. A similar cave system can be found in the map for the mode "Ewok Hunt" in Star Wars Battlefront II.
- The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear! (Mentioned only)
- Tales from Vader's Castle 4: Night of the Gorax (Appears in flashback(s))
- Tales from Vader's Castle 5: The Terror of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Traps and Tribulations" (First appearance)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (First pictured)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Gorax appearing in "Traps and Tribulations" wears a sash and uses a tree as a crude tool. This shows at least semi-sentience.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Traps and Tribulations"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Alien Archive - Species Guide
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Tales from Vader's Castle 4: Night of the Gorax
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Lost Stars
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II