Gorgs, known as chubas in Huttese, were small amphibians that could be found on several planets, from the swamps of Naboo to the sewers of Tatooine. They were favored as food by many humanoid species, either dried, fricasseed, or roasted in manak leaves. In Huttese, "hot chubas" were called "hotsa chuba".
Gorgmongers, such as Tatooine's Gragra, would root a gorg pod in an amniotic-like fluid and feed it a variety of things, including funnel flowers, razor moss—or even raw sewage. Soon, the specimen would lay eggs, which would then hatch into tadpoles after several days. The gorgmonger would then separate these hatchlings from the adult (as adult gorgs will devour their young) and raise them to maturity. Only then could the amphibians be sold in the bazaar or marketplace.
In 32 BBY—just out of curiosity—the Gungan Jar Jar Binks fetched a Gorg with his tongue from Gragra's booth at the market of Mos Espa on Tatooine, and was told he would have to pay seven wupiupi for it. Shocked at the cost, Binks spat the gorg out, inadvertently ruining Sebulba's meal in the process and nearly being beaten to a pulp by an enraged Sebulba until Anakin Skywalker broke up the fight.
In 1 ABY, Byxle Pedette, the chef and owner of the Tasty Dried Critters franchise, employed spacers to deliver gorgs. Yet the gorgs would often be delivered alive, much to the shock of the customer.
There were many species of gorgs, including long-tailed, three-eyed, and four-eyed varieties. Different types of gorgs were eventually introduced to the populations of Naboo and its moon of Rori, where they evolved to become large, flesh-eating creatures. Gorgs were also known to be mutated by bio-engineers. One such mutation resulted in the successful growth of a chubafly. The chubafly was essentially a colorful gorg, but with wings that made it capable of flying.
- Star Wars: Episode I toy line
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Tatooine Limited (Card: Gragra)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Tatooine Limited (Card: Losing Track) (As expletive)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Tatooine Limited (Card: Ni Chuba Na!)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 131 (FOO7, Galactic Food and Drink)
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Ando: Planet of the Walrus Men
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy of Intrigue
- (as Chupa)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Gragra)