- "The Emperor recently promoted me after my victory at Batonn."
- ―Grand Admiral Thrawn
In the second year before the Battle of Yavin and the destruction of the Death Star, the rank of Grand Admiral was awarded to the Chiss Imperial officer Thrawn by Galactic Emperor Sheev Palpatine after Thrawn's victory at Batonn.
Following the Battle of Endor, Rae Sloane served as Grand Admiral and commanded the remnants of the Imperial Navy. The Imperial rank of Grand Admiral was one of the senior ranks in the entire Imperial Military, and to be given the title was seen as a great honor. New Republic Fleet Admiral Gial Ackbar was considered a Grand Admiral by the Imperial officers, although it was not an official rank utilized by the New Republic.
Unlike the traditional Imperial uniform, which generally consisted of a plain gray tunic, the Imperial Grand Admiral's uniform was white with golden epaulets. Such accessories were generally uncommon in the Imperial Military, as they seemed to put an emphasis on status above duty and humility.
Behind the scenesEdit
Timothy Zahn, author of the 1991 Legends novel Heir to the Empire, introduced the rank of "Grand Admiral" for the villain of that novel, Grand Admiral Thrawn. Zahn wanted Thrawn to be a military leader rather than a political title-holder or darksider, but felt a normal Admiral would be too mundane. He therefore decided to use the title "Grand Admiral," which he had encountered while reading William L. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in the context of its use in the German Navy.
- Thrawn, Part VI
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow (First pictured)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Hera's Heroes"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Iron Squadron"
- Star Wars Rebels – "An Inside Man"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Warhead"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Through Imperial Eyes"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Double Agent Droid" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- Thrawn: Alliances
- Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Flight of the Defender"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Kindred"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Rebel Assault"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Jedi Night"
- Star Wars Rebels – "DUME" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Wolves and a Door" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell"
- Star Wars 44: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part I
- Star Wars 45: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part II (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Star Wars 46: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part III (Mentioned only; in the opening crawl)
- Aftermath (First mentioned)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First appearance)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Phasma (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars 44: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part I
- ↑ Phasma
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Aftermath
- ↑ Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Heir to the Empire
- ↑ HEIR annotation #13 on Star Wars Books Facebook page
- Grand admiral on Wikipedia