Around two years before the Battle of Yavin, in the year 2 BBY, Grand Admiral Thrawn of the Seventh Fleet wore the uniform when he was tasked with defeating the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, along with a black holster to carry his blaster pistol. The uniform was still in use in the year 5 ABY, as it was worn by Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, the public figurehead of the shattered Empire at the time.
Counselor to the Empire Gallius Rax, who acted as the de facto leader of the Galactic Empire at large after its fragmentation following the Battle of Endor, wore a white naval uniform—similar to the uniform worn by Imperial Grand Admirals—along with a red cape. and 
Similar in cut to the standard Imperial uniform, the Grand Admiral uniform consisted double-breasted white tunic, made of gaberwool, with a round collar and matching trousers, and durasteel-toed knee boots with turndown topside cuffs.
The uniform also featured several code cylinders, a black belt and an identity disk placed on the belt buckle; and a rank insignia plaque with twelve squares, three blue and three gold over trios of blue and red, which was also used by the Grand Generals of the Imperial Army. While Tarkin and many military leaders believed that the use of medals and battle ribbons put more emphasis on status as opposed to duty, the Grand Admiral uniform had gold epaulets.
In potentially hostile situations, Grand Admirals could wear battle armor over their tunic, as well as a protective helmet similar to those worn by AT-ST drivers in design. This armor was also white-colored, with golden shoulder boards similar to the ones on their regular tunic.
Behind the scenesEdit
The rank of Grand Admiral, and the Grand Admiral uniform, were first appeared in the 1991 Legends novel Heir to the Empire, written by Timothy Zahn. The uniform was first pictured in the novel's cover, created by Tom Jung. At Star Wars Celebration London on July 16, 2016, it was revealed that both the title and the uniform would be introduced into canon with the respective releases of the third season of the animated series Star Wars Rebels and the 2017 novel Thrawn, also written by Timothy Zahn.
Although the character of Grand Admiral Rae Sloane was depicted wearing the traditional Grand Admiral uniform, the 2016 canon novel Aftermath: Life Debt suggested that she continued to wear an Imperial gray jacket after she had attained the rank of Grand Admiral.
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Hera's Heroes"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Iron Squadron"
- Star Wars Rebels – "An Inside Man"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Warhead"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Through Imperial Eyes"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- Star Wars Rebels Season Four
- Aftermath: Empire's End (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Tarkin
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The events of Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow take place in the second year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt begins two months after the end of Aftermath and spans over one month in time; therefore, the novel approximately spans the fifth month after the Battle of Endor. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas establishes that the events of Shattered Empire, Part IV, which take place three months after the Battle of Endor, is in the year 5 ABY. Thus, the events of Aftermath: Life Debt take place in the year 5 ABY.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 . “From #StarWarsShow double-sided poster only in #EmpiresEnd B&N edition w/ Norra Wexley & GRAND ADMIRAL RAE SLOANE Art by @stevethomasart”
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Darth Vader 2: Vader, Part II
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Zero Hour"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Heir to the Empire