- "As my first act with this new authority, I will create a Grand Army of the Republic to counter the increasing threats of the Separatists."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Palpatine
The Grand Army of the Republic was the military force of the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. The army was made up of clone soldiers created by the cloners on Kamino, at the behest of the Sith who intended to use the army to destroy the Jedi Order. The army was formally introduced into the Republic by Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, secretly the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, who had been granted emergency powers to raise an army in order to combat the Confederacy of Independent Systems—which Sidious secretly controlled.
The clones fought throughout the war, under the leadership of both Palpatine and members of the Jedi Order, helping the Republic achieve victory over the Separatist Alliance. At the war's end, Palpatine issued Order 66, a command ingrained in the clones via a bio-chip that commanded them to destroy the Jedi. The Jedi Order fell, and Palpatine transformed the Republic into the Galactic Empire.
Following the fall of the Old Republic, the Grand Army was decommissioned and its clones removed from combat duty and instead given the task of managing various Imperial projects due to their advanced aging. Many felt bitter or horrified at their actions during Order 66, even though it was out of their control.
- Third Legion
- Twelfth Army
- 41st Elite Corps
- 104th Battalion
- 212th Attack Battalion
- 327th Star Corps
- 501st Legion
- Tango Company
- All Terrain Tactical Enforcer
- All Terrain Open Transport
- All Terrain Recon Transport
- All Terrain Attack Pod
- HAVw A6 Juggernaut
- Stun cannon tank
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ; image #4 (of 18) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Pursuit of Peace"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much"
- ↑ Dickens, Donna (2014-07-26). Dave Filoni On 'Star Wars Rebels' Place In The Timeline. HitFix. Retrieved on February 2, 2016.